Tip of the Hat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

General advice would be nice

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

Number of posts : 27756
Hedonistic Glory : 27737
Joined In : 2008-08-28

General advice would be nice Empty
PostSubject: General advice would be nice   General advice would be nice I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 7:42 pm

Hello folks thought I'd share something as I am in need of some direction but in no hurry.

I think most of you know I went to school for Media. I love creativity, videography, marketing, events, meeting people, sales, and all that bullshit. I did some volunteer work for a Marketing company. I shot B-roll (cutaways, filler) for a promo video. And I felt like I wasn't ever going to have a salary, and would only be paid on gigs. Then I got a sales job for an Indian food company and was treated like garbage.

So my mom wanted to be nice and hired me as a Property Manager. I never really got to really get into marketing, which is what I wanted. 

Mother is giving me a thousand options. Right now I am doing rentals, the only one in the business who is doing such a thing. If anyone calls asking for a rental property to be managed it gets forwarded to me.
Its really fun but its a brutal business. Most people don't have enough money to rent my units, and a lot of times my clients will not trust potential tenants. Only rented two places so far, and they were the cheapest ones. 

My mom is having me take online courses so I can get more knowledge and pick a side. I can go into condominium management like everyone else in the business, I can be a real estate agent for commercial or residential- kind of ties in with my liking of sales and whatnot.

Now

Last week I MCed my sister's wedding, everyone thought I had a radio voice and that I had been doing it my whole life. I hadn't done it before. I managed to impress someone who works for a marketing company who said she could easily set me up with something. I told her that I would listen.
Now, if something strikes my fancy would I want to move away from my stable life here at home to go back to Toronto and live on my own in the big city? Or should I stay in my small city and keep working for the family business and be heir to run it some day (my mom makes a really good salary). I wouldn't want to offend her for leaving, and what if I don't like the job and want to come back? Will I look like Judas?

I've loved my marketing courses, and feel like its something I've always wanted to do. But I feel like at some point, if I moved to Toronto I would really regret leaving home. But then again I don't want to be afraid to take risks and stare at a computer screen all day.
I can tolerate my office job but I'm not overly excited about anything and I still have tons of options here. I also prefer the smaller city. 

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
link
Deliciously Fat
link

Number of posts : 7786
Hedonistic Glory : 12837
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: General advice would be nice   General advice would be nice I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 10:23 pm

Dude, you are 21. Go see the world. You won't ever get to do it again. Can you come back, and learn while you are out there?
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
Taxer666

Number of posts : 7204
Hedonistic Glory : 13168
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: General advice would be nice   General advice would be nice I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 10:45 pm

Take the chance and tell your mom your reasoning. If it's your calling, then it's your calling; if it isn't, then it isn't.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

PostSubject: Re: General advice would be nice   General advice would be nice I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 6:34 pm

I could probably come back, but I'm not sure what she'd think of me for making the call. The biggest thing I'm worried about is living on my own in Toronto and having the sinking feeling that I moved away from home and I've hurt my reputation. But I do think it's a good idea to at least listen to this contact of mine. I'm going to send her a message
Back to top Go down
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
LOR

Number of posts : 7802
Hedonistic Glory : 13558
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: General advice would be nice   General advice would be nice I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 7:11 pm

im with the other guys on this. you should do what you want to do. You can worry about being stable later in life. or never...haha
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/halloflor
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

PostSubject: Re: General advice would be nice   General advice would be nice I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 10:24 pm

I don't know man.

Stability and a tolerable job > Instable life and fun job
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
Taxer666

Number of posts : 7204
Hedonistic Glory : 13168
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: General advice would be nice   General advice would be nice I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 10:28 pm

Just fucking do it right now, you can worry about stability once you're thinking of starting a family.
Back to top Go down
LOR
LOR

Number of posts : 7802
Hedonistic Glory : 13558
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: General advice would be nice   General advice would be nice I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 2:50 am

breakyoudown wrote:
I don't know man.

Stability and a tolerable job > Instable life and fun job

i completely disagree haha.  I guess it depends on your personality.  ive never been motivated by money.  im happy as long as im doing stuff I want to do.  if you love your job, you dont work a day in your life as they say.

also you have to face the "what if" factor.  you never know what could happen and regret the decision of not doing it later on in life.

but take whatever I say with a grain of salt. i dont wanna ruin your life indirectly
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/halloflor
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

PostSubject: Re: General advice would be nice   General advice would be nice I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 8:55 am

I'm not going to be rolling in money either way, but I mean if I'm making under $15 an hour it's going to be really hard on my bank account paying rent and it's going to be a struggle getting by.

Regardless, I still sent out an email to her

My mom doesn't quite know what to do with me. Trying to put me in different spots. Today she was telling me she wanted me to be some kind of tax consultant where I'd make a proposal for a complex (pretty much filing one of these is guaranteed to lower some kind of tax because the government will just charge a generic high amount because the don't know details on the property) so it would save them money and we'd get a piece of the savings. We'll see where this goes as well. A few things have flopped so far
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: General advice would be nice   General advice would be nice I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 11:59 am

MILTON!!!!!! in like a year or something depends hahah just move to the toronto side of milton Razz you'll be so happy then hahaha:D Wink 
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

PostSubject: Re: General advice would be nice   General advice would be nice I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Aha yep, and have a no pants rule lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: General advice would be nice   General advice would be nice I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 1:02 pm

it must be done!! lol but no really...do whatever is going to make you happy. If youre not into something then dont do it if its not going to make you happy cause you wont enjoy your life.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General advice would be nice   General advice would be nice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General advice would be nice
Page 1 of 1