Tip of the Hat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What Are You Listening To?

Go down 
+30
ImendiaBurzum
Eigels
Gwonam
metalfin
Omertaashes
Palpi of Lor
Reivas
Verbatim
Abethedemon
VintageTorrie
RmEn
link
McCheesey
triforcedd
zefina
Kassill
Brute
ihateyouall
spineshank155
Taxer666
Master Cthulhu
Dave
VacuousReality
Axe
GuyIncognito
Bloodbeast
LOR
breakyoudown
blackstar
Darkflame
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

Number of posts : 650
Hedonistic Glory : 4784
Joined In : 2013-04-26

What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Yeah, they hit the neofolk thing with their own flair and worked out pretty well.

Turmion Kätilöt - Silmät Sumeat

This new record hits all the sweet spots TK are known for.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_AWHOUHKN8
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
Taxer666

Number of posts : 7204
Hedonistic Glory : 13177
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 10:34 pm

Shining - 8 ½ - Feberdrömmar i vaket tillstånd
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

Number of posts : 27756
Hedonistic Glory : 27746
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 9:45 am

And we were barely 17, we were barely dressed
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
Taxer666

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 10:13 pm

Mississippi Bones - American Surreal
Back to top Go down
Reivas
Pure Class
Reivas

Number of posts : 681
Hedonistic Glory : 5766
Joined In : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2013 10:41 pm

Vulture Industries - The Tower
Back to top Go down
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 3:08 pm

Of the Wand and the Moon: Shall Love Fall from View?

Mandatory neofolk, in my opinion
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

Number of posts : 11611
Hedonistic Glory : 18450
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 7:20 pm

Gwonam wrote:
Of the Wand and the Moon: Shall Love Fall from View?

Mandatory neofolk, in my opinion
Haven't heard it yet, will pick it up. He's always been a fantastic artist.

Alcest - Nous Sommes L'emerude

Les Vouyages De Lame gets better almost every time I revisit it.
Back to top Go down
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
LOR

Number of posts : 7802
Hedonistic Glory : 13567
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 9:38 pm

been listening to lots of ozzy-era sabbath lately
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/halloflor
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 10:48 pm

Heave away- The Fables
Back to top Go down
Despotic Reign
A Good Fellow
Despotic Reign

Number of posts : 60
Hedonistic Glory : 3896
Joined In : 2013-11-11

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 6:37 pm

Protest the Hero - Volition

Album of the year. I've always been a fan, but holy shit I was expecting Scurrilous version 2.0 (which would have been just fine with me, I seem to be one of the few who thinks it's just as good as their previous efforts) and they hit me square in the fucking face with this monster instead, leaving me to pick my jaw up off the floor. Hook after hook after hook: soaring vocal ones, blazing guitar ones, funky bass ones... a seamless stream of audio perfection. They took the high points of Fortress and Scurrilous, with a little of the more aggressive side of Kezia and married it into something magical. There simply aren't words to do it justice.
Back to top Go down
LOR
LOR

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 11:15 pm

Fortress is my favorite by them. I was underwhelmed with Scurrilous, but I never gave it enough listening time. Maybe i'll check that out
Back to top Go down
Despotic Reign
A Good Fellow
Despotic Reign

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 2:52 pm

LOR wrote:
Fortress is my favorite by them.  I was underwhelmed with Scurrilous, but I never gave it enough listening time.  Maybe i'll check that out
If Fortress is your favourite, then you'll love Volition: it has more in common with that than Scurrilous.
Back to top Go down
LOR
LOR

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 12:33 am

sweet. I actually just gave scurrilous a relisten last night. was still underwhelmed. had its moments though
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
Taxer666

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 1:03 am

Dio - Dream Evil
Back to top Go down
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 1:53 am

Backworld: Lies and Lullabies

This song kills any joy instantly. I love it.

Back to top Go down
Despotic Reign
A Good Fellow
Despotic Reign

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 4:02 pm

One of the greatest choruses ever committed to tape...
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 10:08 pm

Kings of Convenience - Misread

Great stuff to chill to after a tense and stressful day at work. Probably up byd's alley
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 2:01 am

Recently discovered Finnr's Cane, freaking fantastic post black metal.

Back to top Go down
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 11:43 am

Surprisingly good stuff there, Axe. I'll have to get on that Finnr's Cane record. Have you heard the new Vàli record? I figured that would be your cup of tea. This record feels much more despondent than Forlatt did, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Back to top Go down
GuyIncognito
True Gentleman
GuyIncognito

Number of posts : 1151
Hedonistic Glory : 6455
Joined In : 2010-06-08

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Genesis - Return of the Giant Hogweed
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 4:57 pm

Gwonam wrote:
Surprisingly good stuff there, Axe. I'll have to get on that Finnr's Cane record. Have you heard the new Vàli record? I figured that would be your cup of tea. This record feels much more despondent than Forlatt did, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Oh yeah, I'm loving it. Forlatt is probably my favorite neofolk release currently so I was stoked to get my hands on his new material. Forlatt is everything I want out of neofolk. Skoglandskap is fantastic as well, and I definitely agree that it seems a lot more bleak. I'm glad it wasn't Forlatt II.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 5:50 pm

I love Sinatra- but some of his Christmas songs I keep hearing at work are pretty bad
Back to top Go down
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 5:52 pm

Persefone: Zazen Meditation (Spiritual Migration)

This is one of my albums of 2013 and will be reviewed within the next week or two.
Back to top Go down
Despotic Reign
A Good Fellow
Despotic Reign

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 6:38 pm

Gwonam wrote:

This is one of my albums of 2013 and will be reviewed within the next week or two.
I honestly thought it was a step back for Persefone... each album has become increasingly metalcore tinged, and the progressive touches have become gradually watered down to pompish keys. Core is still by far and away their best album.
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
Taxer666

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 6:48 pm

Core was a hiccup because Persefone as a whole sucks.
Back to top Go down
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 8:24 pm

Well, that took the wind right out of my sails. This might be why I have such a hard time presenting material I enjoy to a community: it's inferior and often only becomes the subject of ridicule to where I regret making the decision to share any content whatsoever. Call it sensitive if you like, but this is the sort of thing that frays communities.

I must humbly disagree with you both, nevertheless. Spiritual Migration breaks away from Core's over-synthesized muck, Shin-ken's outright mediocrity and Truth Inside the Shades was a freshman attempt at keyboard melodies in a metal-dominated lineup at best. It features progressive builds that I haven't seen from the gurus of the genre since their heyday and some of the most evocative songwriting I've experienced listening to the genre. To compare the albums is like apples to oranges and I'm of the conviction that this is a step forward for them. It's the album they were waiting to write ever since they broke out and started experimenting by throwing every possible time signature and key at the compositions. Now that they have a paradigm to go by, it seems as if they have their ducks in a row.

You can by all means continue to disagree, but it's getting a little cumbersome to see "well, this sucks" without any real rebuke. You're entitled to your opinion, but it's a little irritating to basically be told my music choice is inferior. I'm not asking anyone to like what I like - just be constructive for fuck's sake. It's quite a discouraging atmosphere.
Back to top Go down
Despotic Reign
A Good Fellow
Despotic Reign

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 9:18 pm

Well I gave a few brief pointers for my thinking, but I shall elaborate further. For the record, I like Persefone and have recommended them numerous times on the forum, but the direction of the last two albums is not for me.

I'm not sure how you can call Core muck and rate this album, given its massive, blatant faults. Let's begin with riffs. Oh wait, there are none, especially as you get deeper into the record. It's metalcore chugging (with intermitent breakdowns) with a few licks and a lot of pointless wankery (note some bands can use technicality to enhance their riffs with a melodic sweep or such, however this is not such an instance). Overall there is no lasting sense of progression or style to the guitars, and some of the transitions are truly dismal. Solos are so bland that they needn't have bothered.

You call Core over-synthesized when the keys on display here are generic pomp and bombast when they come to the forefront, for most of the album you're lucky if you notice them in the first place. At least they had character on Core.

My main problem with this album is that they've diluted their identity even more. By going more technical and less progressive (a massive distinction that I don't think people seem to get) they've lost something that made them standout. There where points on this album that I thought I was listening to Hope for the Dying.

There are other minor failings such has the vocals (which has always been an issue with Persefone) the clinical production, lack of bass presence etc... all in all it just didn't do anything to excite me.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 9:23 pm

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood - The Animals

This song can easily get stuck in my head for days. I am very prone to liking raspy vocals with the echo effect.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 12:05 pm

Gwonam wrote:

That's one release I have neglected this year. I need to acquire it soon and give it a few spins. Core and Shin-Ken both had their moments of wondrous musicianship
Back to top Go down
LOR
LOR

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 1:35 pm

Dead Letter Circus- The Catalyst Fire (album)

holy fuck i'm loving these guys. put on a hell of a show, wish I was more acquainted with their stuff before I saw them.

australia is gonna take over the music world I think soon. lots of cool bands are coming from there
Back to top Go down
Despotic Reign
A Good Fellow
Despotic Reign

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 7:20 pm

Goddamn I love this album so much...
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 8:50 pm

I think I'm in love with Annie Clark
Back to top Go down
Despotic Reign
A Good Fellow
Despotic Reign

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 9:29 pm

A shame that's probably the last Strokes record that will be worth anything.
Back to top Go down
Reivas
Pure Class
Reivas

Number of posts : 681
Hedonistic Glory : 5766
Joined In : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 1:05 pm

The Contortionist - Oscillator
Back to top Go down
LOR
LOR

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 2:17 pm

i can't stop listening to this song. HELP
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 9:18 pm

The Tragically Hip has some great songs, and then others are just brutal. I actually think World Container is a good album
Back to top Go down
GuyIncognito
True Gentleman
GuyIncognito

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 12:37 am

Just got the new Rush Concert DVD of the tour I went to see over the summer with GeneParmesan. The sound is great for some guys pushing 60, but the video kinda sucks sometimes from an Iron Maiden effect, needlessly jumping from camera to camera every other second.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 12:57 pm

When are you going to see her again?
Back to top Go down
GuyIncognito
True Gentleman
GuyIncognito

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 12:41 am

breakyoudown wrote:
When are you going to see her again?
Maybe next month
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2013 9:02 pm

Danzig II: Lucifuge (album)

Definitely the best Danzig album, and one of the best heavy metal records of all time
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 7:29 pm

The Cure - Lovesong

Yep. Still an incredible band.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 8:39 pm

Axe wrote:
The Cure - Lovesong

Yep. Still an incredible band.
That's a sick song.

Have you ever seen The Wedding Singer? Adam Sandler sings a really emo song and he says "I was listening to The Cure a lot writing this." Best part of the movie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 11:23 pm

according to spotify, taxers listening to Hell right now
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
Taxer666

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 6:17 am

Hell is good and I found out that they released a new album.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 8:32 pm

One of the simplest riffs yet one of the greatest.
Back to top Go down
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 8:41 pm

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES AXE.

I love that song to death.
Back to top Go down
GuyIncognito
True Gentleman
GuyIncognito

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 10:09 pm

Devin Townsend Project, figured I'd check it out
Back to top Go down
GuyIncognito
True Gentleman
GuyIncognito

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 4:34 am

Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 11:07 am

Red hot moon- Rancid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Listening To?   What Are You Listening To? - Page 15 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Are You Listening To?
Page 15 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next