Tip of the Hat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Doing a speech on Metal, would love help

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
LOR

Number of posts : 7802
Hedonistic Glory : 13579
Joined In : 2010-05-01

Doing a speech on Metal, would love help Empty
PostSubject: Doing a speech on Metal, would love help   Doing a speech on Metal, would love help I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 1:24 am

Thursday I'm giving a brief overview on metal and subgenres with a focus on death, black, prog and power metal because I think they are the easiest to explain and the most fun to talk about and to make fun of. WHAT SHOULD I INCLUDE? AND GIVE ME SOME SOURCES. nothing to lengthy, need to fit this in under 7 minutes. pictures are nice too. you can give me your definitions of the genres as long as they are accurate and have things to back it up with.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/halloflor
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
Taxer666

Number of posts : 7204
Hedonistic Glory : 13189
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Doing a speech on Metal, would love help   Doing a speech on Metal, would love help I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 7:16 am

My advice? Don't do it on metal.

Death
Death
Cannibal Corpse
Deicide

Black
Bathory
Mayhem
Burzum
Darkthrone

Talk about Sabbath as usual.
Back to top Go down
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

Number of posts : 650
Hedonistic Glory : 4796
Joined In : 2013-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Doing a speech on Metal, would love help   Doing a speech on Metal, would love help I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 9:45 am

Progressive metal, I guess you could talk about the trials and tribulations of Dream Theater, but I don't know - it feels like the overview would be skating too close to the surface. I can't imagine that'd be representative of metal at large.

I once wrote an English assignment about the psychosis of the first wave of Norwegian black metal. I believe the reason it went over so well was a specified thesis.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_AWHOUHKN8
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

Number of posts : 27756
Hedonistic Glory : 27758
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Doing a speech on Metal, would love help   Doing a speech on Metal, would love help I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 10:43 am

Maybe you can do your presentation on the stage presence of bands. That'd be fun. And then throw in how important guitar solos are to pump up the crowd and whathaveyou.
Back to top Go down
LOR
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Doing a speech on Metal, would love help   Doing a speech on Metal, would love help I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 2:53 pm

im not really going to be focusing on bands, more on the differences in genres and kind of hinting at the elitism in the scene in some cases. more of an overview going over misconceptions and defining subgenres. Honestly, I would have prefered to not to it on metal, but i couldn't figure out any other i wanted to talk about in time, and this seemed the most fun idea.

the bands i have mentioned so far are almost you're list- death, possessed, mayhem, burzum. sabbath i haven't even mentioned at all haha, because they don't really fit into the categories i arbitrarily picked out, but I should probably throw them in at some point. the hard part will be keeping it all under 7 minutes which is why im trying not to go into detail about bands as much
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

Number of posts : 27756
Hedonistic Glory : 27758
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Doing a speech on Metal, would love help   Doing a speech on Metal, would love help I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 4:35 pm

Less is more dude. Don't mention too many bands nobody will be able to follow if you go into detail on too many

Why not focus on two that are successful at whatever it is you're arguing - or why one is better than the other but both are highly touted
Back to top Go down
LOR
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Doing a speech on Metal, would love help   Doing a speech on Metal, would love help I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 9:45 pm

i wasn't even going to do that, just mostly describe the characteristics of each genre which I would like clarification.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doing a speech on Metal, would love help   Doing a speech on Metal, would love help I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Doing a speech on Metal, would love help
Page 1 of 1