Tip of the Hat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

Number of posts : 650
Hedonistic Glory : 4785
Joined In : 2013-04-26

Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace Empty
PostSubject: Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace   Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 12:11 am

From Kotaku:

"This could be the biggest backtrack in gaming history: Microsoft will reverse course on their DRM policies for Xbox One, dropping their 24-hour Internet check-in requirement and all restrictions on used games."

To the naked eye, I deduce that they were performing multiple experiments on their audience by demonstrating this ploy of theirs. The first phase was to see if there was a market for consumers and producers alike on a foundation steeped in DRM that yielded even more content control than the DLC of the last generation. Plan B was to renege on this if the consumer and/or producer found this method too cumbersome to work with in order to appeal to those who rebuked this decision, in a vain attempt to make everybody happy in the process of what may be a potential blunder. In other words, they're playing both sides of the fence.

Microsoft are covering their ass since the widespread malice towards Windows 8. I remain unconvinced that this is a move made in altruism more than capitalism and grandstanding. Sony are just as guilty of said grandstanding, but I'm not certain they would have gone about conducting an experiment this massive on the gaming industry.

This is why I won't buy an Xbox One. They did the same garbage at the launch of Windows Vista, which forced functional legacy architecture out the window for a shoddy attempt at their own EFS, bloated resource use and caused compatibility issues en masse. If anybody can see it from a mile away, it's the people who were around to see the transition from 2000 to ME, from XP to Vista and from 7 to 8. This is their way of testing us to see how mindless companies and consumers are.

When the clowns stop clowning around with the hardware and software, good things happen for Microsoft. To think they'd learn this all too simple lesson: don't piss the money off. I'll hazard a guess that more than a few people lost their jobs thanks to this.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_AWHOUHKN8
spineshank155
A Very Classy Extreme Metalhead
spineshank155

Number of posts : 547
Hedonistic Glory : 5409
Joined In : 2011-03-19

Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace   Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 1:29 pm

I dealt with the stupidity of Vista, excessive resource hog and they even did it with Windows 7 and 8. They have gotten better with each release but they did that in order to see if consumers will deal with the next change. It's stupid. Even when XP came out they bloated the updates with heavier resources. Windows 8 in my opinion is a huge disaster. Despite some users liking it, it's still awkward and to many users they often will use the start menu. I like how some Windows 8 fanatics can argue that only beginners or novices use the start menu. Windows 7 start menu i find the best because all you have to do is type in what you want to run and it's there. It's not full screen and you can resize desktop windows compared to the start screen apps.

All arguing aside i won't be relying or buying any more of MS's products anymore. I am moving towards Linux and while it's a bit confusing at first, it'll be greater then Windows imo. I am hoping Windows 7 will have a long life as i will be fine using that for my gaming and such. Windows 8 is honestly the first Microsoft Windows that i really would not use. Never used Win 2000 or ME and Vista was alright, it was just too big of a resource hog for my desktop. Oh and another thing about Windows 8 is that the 8.1 won't have the start menu. It just has the button which leads back into the start screen. So i am pretty sure that will fail too. It isn't a major fail because unfortunately for MS they feel they can steal money from consumers when they find out their OS is junk. And that's not speaking for everyone because i know some users like it but as a long time Windows user, i find this change unwarranted. Should have the option to keep the Windows 7 desktop intact.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/spineshank155
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

Number of posts : 27756
Hedonistic Glory : 27747
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace   Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 11:17 am

Why did it take them until now to realize how stupid of an idea it is to not allow used games

Only Steam can get away with that because they'll sell games like Just Cause 2 for $3 on special weekends. So done with Micro$oft
Back to top Go down
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace   Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 8:08 am

Not every developer would willingly go to Microsoft and allow them to sell their game to the masses for, in the gaming community at the very least, incredible deals. Steam have a very tight-knit composition about them and the developers they get on board to allow this sort of thing not only give way to their game getting out there at whatever cost there may be, but it also stymies the piracy surge that afflicts a lot of PC games. Microsoft can't pull that sort of thing in its own downloads store (neither can Sony, let's not kid ourselves) and continue to succeed.

I remain firm in my assessment that this was a test to see if the console, bearing its garish flaws, would sell in spite of it. To their chagrin, they have to play by the same rules as the other guys - which is the way it should be.

Look no further than the PSP Go for an example on how DRM will kill your console without question. People will never buy into this shit unless they have free reign of the content after purchase and infringement laws are heavily reformed. Creating good games should come before all this piracy whitewash and tyrannical rule over the usual method of game sharing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace   Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 12:49 am

breakyoudown wrote:
Why did it take them until now to realize how stupid of an idea it is to not allow used games

Only Steam can get away with that because they'll sell games like Just Cause 2 for $3 on special weekends. So done with Micro$oft

immagine if they'd pulled it off, though. developer's would make a shit-ton more money selling on your console. bang. all the exclusives are yours. bang. other consoles cave in anyway, but youve already got a headstart. everyone folds. Microsoft wins. but it failed, thank god.
Back to top Go down
TheskyisblueFTW
The Magician
TheskyisblueFTW

Number of posts : 2722
Hedonistic Glory : 9070
Joined In : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace   Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 1:18 pm

Some people are actually complaining over this. They want the old policies back.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/DX.Robots
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace   Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 2:49 pm

TheskyisblueFTW wrote:
Some people are actually complaining over this. They want the old policies back.

WHAT?
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

Number of posts : 27756
Hedonistic Glory : 27747
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace   Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 6:46 pm

That makes no sense. I highly doubt I'm going to buy another console. I'd rather spend the money on more bandwidth and go to town on downloading and Netflix
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace   Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Xbox One demonstrates a vanishing act in what may be its only saving grace
Page 1 of 1