Tip of the Hat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What do your family and friends think of your music?

Go down 
+8
MarshallEMG
LOR
GuyIncognito
Taxer666
Master Cthulhu
breakyoudown
link
Darkflame
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Darkflame
Problem Child
Darkflame

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 13791
Joined In : 2009-10-26

What do your family and friends think of your music? Empty
PostSubject: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 12:56 pm

Saw this ages ago on Metalscape's forums and thought it was a cool idea for a topic.

My brother likes metal too, but not my kind of metal. He likes to think of himself as a "true" metalhead but completely dismisses most everything that isn't metalcore. My mum doesn't mind as long as I don't play it when she's around. My dad is convinced I'm just going through a phase and that I'll be out clubbing by the time I'm 18.

My friends jokingly take the piss out of it but don't mind as long as I don't force it on them. One of my friends is actually surprising me now, admitting he's liked CoB and Behemoth songs (an oppurtunity for brainwashing methinks :twisted: ).
Back to top Go down
link
Deliciously Fat
link

Number of posts : 7786
Hedonistic Glory : 12859
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:06 pm

Lol, almost all my friends like metal of some kind. My mom never has heard it before, and nor will I blast it to show her, because she would just annoy the shit out of me with shit tons more Warren Zevon. My dad likes some metal, but not a huge fan of it, but they both support me. My sister USED to be a metalhead. Cattle Decapitation was her favorite band for a while. But she got out of the phase.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:12 pm

Lol Almost all of my friends here hate metal music. Sometimes the tell me I shouldn't listen to it. (*rages*). But it's okay, I think their music is shit anyway. O=
I do have a few friends who are legit metal fans... but that's about 2-3 people? IDK. There are a few "metalheads" here who are into some boring metal me thinks, like LoG and Metallica. But they also like things like Winds of Plague and Whitechapel *pukes*. I feel like I can't talk about metal with them. D=
I have a pretty awesome friend though who is into Deathspell Omega and Blut Aus Nord though and we have good convos. =D And there's some girls who listen to a little bit of folk and symphonic/power metal. Sometimes I talk to them about metal.

No one in my family likes metal at all, they think it's garbage. My brother called me a goth for the longest time, and I don't think he really understands what he's saying. My step mom thinks it's a bad habit, and my dad tells me that if I listen to 'depressing music' then I too will be depressed. I'm not always depressed, I find metal uplifting most of the time!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:15 pm

I don't like to think of metal as a phase. Sad It's the one of the only genres that don't bore me. There are artists within metal who I can say "hey, I pretty much like all of these songs by them!" instead of "Oh, they have a few good hits but 90% of their other stuff are like boring fill-in songs on all their albums"
Someone told me metal was a phase for me and I'll grow out of it.. Then I said the same about their music. Razz keke
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

Number of posts : 27756
Hedonistic Glory : 27759
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:28 pm

Every time I introduce myself to people, music will eventually come up. I will say that I like heavy metal. Everyone is always shocked to hear it. I guess I really do not look metal at all. Everyone thinks that I would only listen to classical and indie or something.

My girlfriend thinks I'm a weirdo. She's looking through my itunes and seeing albums with semen in the title and shes like wtf man and I'm like "...well you can't get much more manly than that"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:30 pm

Lol that's funny. Semen. I guess people get weirded out that i like metal too xDDD. I have stuff by the Fallopian Dudes in my itunes. Metal ftw!!
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child
Darkflame

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:41 pm

breakyoudown wrote:
Every time I introduce myself to people, music will eventually come up. I will say that I like heavy metal. Everyone is always shocked to hear it. I guess I really do not look metal at all. Everyone thinks that I would only listen to classical and indie or something.

My girlfriend thinks I'm a weirdo. She's looking through my itunes and seeing albums with semen in the title and shes like wtf man and I'm like "...well you can't get much more manly than that"
People are like that with me too LOL. I really don't look like a metalhead unless I'm wearing a band shirt.

I showed one of my friends who likes pop Immortal. It was so funny. I think I must have given her nightmares. LOL
Back to top Go down
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar
Master Cthulhu

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147489034
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 2:40 pm

link wrote:
Lol, almost all my friends like metal of some kind. My mom never has heard it before, and nor will I blast it to show her, because she would just annoy the shit out of me with shit tons more Warren Zevon. My dad likes some metal, but not a huge fan of it, but they both support me. My sister USED to be a metalhead. Cattle Decapitation was her favorite band for a while. But she got out of the phase.

Woah man, Warren Zevon is fucking awesome.
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
Taxer666

Number of posts : 7204
Hedonistic Glory : 13190
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 5:40 pm

Most of my friends here at school like metal and it's awesome. My brother kinda likes some metal but he's in the weedly weedly stage so he only likes shit like Necrophagist and what not. My parents don't like it though and think it's the devil's music.
Back to top Go down
link
Deliciously Fat
link

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Zevon is cool, don't get me wrong. But not every damn time you turn on the fucking music.
Back to top Go down
GuyIncognito
True Gentleman
GuyIncognito

Number of posts : 1151
Hedonistic Glory : 6468
Joined In : 2010-06-08

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 8:35 pm

My parents know I listen to it, but they don't really give a rats ass. They just ask that I don't blast it when they're around and they return the favor by not playing Grateful Dead/John Mellencamp all the time. But I also listen to a lot of bands they like like BB King, Tom Petty, The Doors. My friends a kinda similar about it. GravyGulper introduced me to this site, and the others are more into softer music like Elton John and the Beatles.
Back to top Go down
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
LOR

Number of posts : 7802
Hedonistic Glory : 13580
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 9:41 pm

My parents completely understand why i like metal and sometimes they actually like some of it as well, they just have to be bands that have limited harsh vocals. Half my friends like metal and the other half think im really eccentric. To be honest though, the only people i actually talk to metal with besides Lor is yous guys and the occasional stranger that i happen to somehow find out likes blind guardian Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/halloflor
MarshallEMG
True Gentleman
MarshallEMG

Number of posts : 1619
Hedonistic Glory : 7303
Joined In : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 11:49 pm

2 of my friends are obsessed with BTBAM, and the rest like rap. Lol
Back to top Go down
link
Deliciously Fat
link

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 12:40 am

BTBAM is core lulz.
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 12192
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 2:47 am

My dad likes rock and metal--traditional, thrash, speed. My mom likes some nu-metal and some rock and other things. I started listening to music when I was 11 but pretty much kept everything a secret except for the fact that I listened to music and it was metal. Even now I always take my headphones off before unlocking my door. Pretty much all of my friends listen to metal in some form or another, or at least used to listen to metal or will listen to it from time to time. It just kind of turned out that way. Sometimes metal was a common interest that helped to make us friends, sometimes the fact that I listened to metal rubbed off a little, and sometimes a friend would like metal but it wouldn't be directly related to the friendship.
Back to top Go down
Palpi of Lor
Pure Class
Palpi of Lor

Number of posts : 594
Hedonistic Glory : 5778
Joined In : 2010-05-03
Location : GETTING MY FAT RUBBED BY IB IN THE DEPTHS OF HELL!!

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 9:14 am

My mom likes sonata, kamelot, elvenking, equilibrium, and ensiferum. When I showed her equilibrium she hated the screaming and she prolly still does..RUNS IN THE FAMILY AMIRITE??!!!!?!!!?!!!)?
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child
Darkflame

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 12:12 pm

Palpi of Lor wrote:
My mom likes sonata, kamelot, elvenking, equilibrium, and ensiferum. When I showed her equilibrium she hated the screaming and she prolly still does..RUNS IN THE FAMILY AMIRITE??!!!!?!!!?!!!)?
I thought your mum was cool until that last part. Mad
Back to top Go down
Palpi of Lor
Pure Class
Palpi of Lor

Number of posts : 594
Hedonistic Glory : 5778
Joined In : 2010-05-03
Location : GETTING MY FAT RUBBED BY IB IN THE DEPTHS OF HELL!!

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 12:53 pm

She still loves the orchestration.
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child
Darkflame

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 1:34 pm

Helge is fucking epic though.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

Number of posts : 11611
Hedonistic Glory : 18463
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 10:23 pm

My mom thinks some of it is "evil" and she thinks the rest sounds bad. But she doesn't really mind I guess. When my computer was in the same room as my mom's, she and my stepdad would get annoyed when I listened to anything too fast or with harsh vocals. My dad is an elitist of epic proportions and if he doesn't approve of it, it's not good. He's the kind of person who thinks he's right about everything. He is really into bluesy music and classic rock, and he doesn't delve too far into the metal spectrum. He likes some newer popular rock and stuff, but no metal. For the most part he thinks it's stupid, and he hates harsh vocals.

My best friends all like metal, at least to some extent. My one friend who used to post on the forum when he had internet and wasn't too lazy got into modern metal about a year or so after I did, after I constantly annoyed him with new bands I got into. Now he likes a lot of the same stuff I do, and would probably like a lot more if he had internet access. I showed one of my other friends some metal, and he's really into power, symphonic, gothic and folky stuff. He mostly sticks with the more melodic styles. My other friend enjoys a little metal, but only select bands. He likes things like Metallica, Lamb of God, Entwine, Volbeat, etc. We talk about music a lot though because he's really into Indie and he's the one that got me into Indie.
Back to top Go down
ImendiaBurzum
Elder
ImendiaBurzum

Number of posts : 15462
Hedonistic Glory : 13083
Joined In : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 5:24 pm

Me: hey dad this is what i listen to
Dad: let me hear it son
*Puts on Sculptor of Flesh*
Dad:What do your family and friends think of your music? ExplodingHead
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/dommaster66
MarshallEMG
True Gentleman
MarshallEMG

Number of posts : 1619
Hedonistic Glory : 7303
Joined In : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 7:14 pm

link wrote:
BTBAM is core lulz.

no
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do your family and friends think of your music?   What do your family and friends think of your music? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do your family and friends think of your music?
Page 1 of 1