Tip of the Hat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A beginners guide to Skeletonwitch

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

Number of posts : 27756
Hedonistic Glory : 27758
Joined In : 2008-08-28

A beginners guide to Skeletonwitch  Empty
PostSubject: A beginners guide to Skeletonwitch    A beginners guide to Skeletonwitch  I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 7:28 pm

I have never listened to them before - got around to Dies Irae's looksee and thought the track he posted was freaking sweet. (Btw did you see the thread where my dad painted the logo you made?)

What album(s) should I begin with? And what bands would you recommend of similar nature
Back to top Go down
Despotic Reign
A Good Fellow
Despotic Reign

Number of posts : 60
Hedonistic Glory : 3908
Joined In : 2013-11-11

PostSubject: Re: A beginners guide to Skeletonwitch    A beginners guide to Skeletonwitch  I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 7:42 pm

As they haven't made a bad album yet, you can't go wrong with any of them. My personal favourite is Beyond the Permafrost:

I'd pick up Forever Abomination next and then the rest of their material. Taxer has this thing where he believes stuff like Toxic Holocaust sounds exactly like Skeletonwitch, but to my ears they have a pretty unique sound. You could however dive into the realms of blackened thrash, for something a little similar:

And of course, the blackened thrash kings, Absu:

Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

Number of posts : 27756
Hedonistic Glory : 27758
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: A beginners guide to Skeletonwitch    A beginners guide to Skeletonwitch  I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Thanks for the introduction - I just picked up Beyond the Permafrost and gave a track a go - listening to "Upon the black wings". I have found myself gravitating away from Death type vocals, but this kind of thing I am totally into it. Just a different kind of vibe that I find very easy to listen to- this will serve me well at the gym. Loving the tempo

Will have a listen at the other bands listed
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

Number of posts : 11611
Hedonistic Glory : 18462
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: A beginners guide to Skeletonwitch    A beginners guide to Skeletonwitch  I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 8:29 pm

breakyoudown wrote:
Thanks for the introduction - I just picked up Beyond the Permafrost and gave a track a go - listening to "Upon the black wings". I have found myself gravitating away from Death type vocals, but this kind of thing I am totally into it. Just a different kind of vibe that I find very easy to listen to- this will serve me well at the gym. Loving the tempo

Will have a listen at the other bands listed
Chance is a fucking hell of a vocalist. He never gets old. But I agree, Beyond the Permafrost is the best place to start. After that I would go in order although any album works. They haven't really progressed too awful much except for the production value. Also, when you are done, pick up At One With the Shadows and their early demos. They are much grittier and fun to listen to, but I wouldn't start with them.

Can also vouch for Witchaven and Absu. If I may make a suggestion or two

The vocals are the biggest thing that might have to grow on you, but the riffage is unparalleled.

This is on the grittier black/thrash side. These guys slay live if you ever get the chance.

TH is almost always mentioned in the same sentence as Skeletonwitch most because they also helped spearhead this new thrash movement. They are a much more hardcore/thrash band but it's good fun
Back to top Go down
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
LOR

Number of posts : 7802
Hedonistic Glory : 13579
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: A beginners guide to Skeletonwitch    A beginners guide to Skeletonwitch  I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 9:09 pm

this is weird cuz I'm also just starting to get into skeletonwitch. the single I heard of the new album was killer
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/halloflor
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
Taxer666

Number of posts : 7204
Hedonistic Glory : 13189
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: A beginners guide to Skeletonwitch    A beginners guide to Skeletonwitch  I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 10:52 pm

Stay away from Skeletonwitch and Toxic Holocaust because they don't do the black/thrash thing well. Everything else Dies mentioned (aside from picking the wrong Absu album) along with Vektor are quality stuff.

(Tara is their best work and Taxer is never wrong)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A beginners guide to Skeletonwitch    A beginners guide to Skeletonwitch  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A beginners guide to Skeletonwitch
Page 1 of 1