Tip of the Hat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Indie/Alternative for the indie-hating metalhead

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

Number of posts : 11611
Hedonistic Glory : 18462
Joined In : 2009-01-21

Indie/Alternative for the indie-hating metalhead Empty
PostSubject: Indie/Alternative for the indie-hating metalhead   Indie/Alternative for the indie-hating metalhead I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Talkdemonic - Final Russian
This group is pretty unique, mixing some folk elements with a dark electronica sound. This track in particular is an instrumental (like all of their music) that offers a very somber and bleak atmosphere. I would say the best description of this band is a combination between the legendary composer Max Richter and electronic artist Kashiwa Daisuke.

Pinback - Fortress
The most glaring relation to metal is singer/instrumentalist Rob Crow's love of metal music which spawned the band Goblin Cock. Goblin Cock is alright, but Pinback is truly a legendary band for fans of alternative music. They are surprisingly atmospheric at times and also have some very catchy progressive hooks.

Mount Eerie - The Place Lives
Mount Eerie at times have had some incredibly dark and almost atmospheric black metal sounding tracks. Sometimes it works better than others, but it works it works. This track is a great example of a folky black metal tinged track that offers a fantastic feeling of desolation.

Chelsea Wolfe - Mer
For fans of neofolk, particularly the darker apocalyptic folk, Chelsea Wolfe offers a pretty unique take. Her vocals are fantastic and unique for such a dark and doomy style of music.

Junius - Ten Year Librarian
Junius are probably the most metal band on this list as their music often goes into post-metal territory. Junius is a fantastic group who blends alternative rock, post-rock, metal and even some gothic style in the form of the vocals. I'm often reminded of groups like Depeche Mode when it comes to their singer, but don't let that discourage you if you aren't a fan. Junius has wonderfully layered music that should appeal to many metal fans.

Baths - Miasma Sky
A lot of you may remember when I had this album art as my avatar. Baths is pretty hit or miss, honestly, but he has a few tracks that are just gold. Miasma Sky is one such track. It is electronica but incredibly dark. His ability as a producer is really what shines here. If you listen with headphones you are treated to an incredibly complex and subtle sound that really has a unique atmosphere for the genre. His vocals are the biggest thing that detracts from the music, but they aren't awful.

J. Tillman - When I Light Your Darkened Door
This one if probably the most "out there" for my list, but the reason I include it is his incredibly sorrowful performance. He is more of a traditional folk artist (at least for his J. Tillman badged release) yet he delivers something so much more emotional and sorrowful than most artists can ever dream to achieve.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Indie/Alternative for the indie-hating metalhead   Indie/Alternative for the indie-hating metalhead I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 4:06 pm

good shit axe. i knew about junius, baths and talkdemonic, but these others are excellent too  Very Happy

I own Rob Crowe's Sophistructure album so im loving the shit outta pinback. thank you!
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
Taxer666

Number of posts : 7204
Hedonistic Glory : 13189
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Indie/Alternative for the indie-hating metalhead   Indie/Alternative for the indie-hating metalhead I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 6:09 pm

Some neat stuff here, but the only label I hate more than post-metal is indie because they don't make any sense.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

Number of posts : 27756
Hedonistic Glory : 27758
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Indie/Alternative for the indie-hating metalhead   Indie/Alternative for the indie-hating metalhead I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 7:16 pm

Really enjoyed Talkdemonic.

I found that Mount Eerie was giving me a Sigur Ros vibe
Back to top Go down
Despotic Reign
A Good Fellow
Despotic Reign

Number of posts : 60
Hedonistic Glory : 3908
Joined In : 2013-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Indie/Alternative for the indie-hating metalhead   Indie/Alternative for the indie-hating metalhead I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Only Tillman was new to me (I wasn't taken to be honest) but there is some good stuff here. I'll add to this list when I get some time, I've really been into the alt side of rock recently.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

Number of posts : 11611
Hedonistic Glory : 18462
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Indie/Alternative for the indie-hating metalhead   Indie/Alternative for the indie-hating metalhead I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 8:22 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
Some neat stuff here, but the only label I hate more than post-metal is indie because they don't make any sense.
I very much agree with you on the indie label. I always thought it was the worst way to label a band. I never tag anything as indie in my personal library, but usually for broad discussion I use that term. I think it does have it's uses when trying to distinguish it from other types of alternative rock. If I say alternative to the average person, they usually start talking about bands like Blind 182. But nevertheless I hate the tag.

Thanks for listening!

Despotic Reign wrote:
Only Tillman was new to me (I wasn't taken to be honest) but there is some good stuff here. I'll add to this list when I get some time, I've really been into the alt side of rock recently.
I look forward to it! My alt collection rivals that of my metal collection, I usually go between the two depending on my mood. I may post some others later if people like, but they won't really fit into the category of "for the indie alt hater."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Indie/Alternative for the indie-hating metalhead   Indie/Alternative for the indie-hating metalhead I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 7:05 pm

adding Barn Owl to the list. avante guarde indie rock with a hint of Black Sabbath. similar to Swans? maybe?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Indie/Alternative for the indie-hating metalhead   Indie/Alternative for the indie-hating metalhead I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Indie/Alternative for the indie-hating metalhead
Page 1 of 1