Tip of the Hat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gwonam's Top 5 Albums of 2013: Installation 1

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

Number of posts : 650
Hedonistic Glory : 4796
Joined In : 2013-04-26

Gwonam's Top 5 Albums of 2013: Installation 1 Empty
PostSubject: Gwonam's Top 5 Albums of 2013: Installation 1   Gwonam's Top 5 Albums of 2013: Installation 1 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 12:25 pm

Gwonam's Top 5 Albums of 2013: Installation 1 Lfr131_web

Hanging Garden's At Every Door released 25 January 2013, taking great strides to breathe vitality into the ironically stagnating doom metal genre. For a musical genre fixated on the darker aspects of human nature, you would assume - and be correct - that doom metal is the same old song: Sunn O))) popularized the "play it loud" paradigm that many second wave bands cling for dear life onto, as if Stephen O'Malley is the Noah on the Ark of doom metal prowess. Other veterans like Saturnus choose a dirge-like, dramatic route which has bred it's own imitations since their inception in the early '90s. Enter Hanging Garden, somewhere between the two, forging a record dubbed Inherit the Eden, a foolhardy first try into the fray utilizing the Shape of Despair style as a cookie cutter.

This time, Hanging Garden discard their will to imitate as they have on previous records and envision a new direction for doom metal. You may be able to invoke Swallow the Sun and be somewhat correct. Make no mistake; this doesn't kiss the ass of the omgsogoffik community, whereas StS... haaaah.

The one thing that must be said about this band first and foremost is riffs. If you're looking for doom with riffs, this is your golden apple. Some of the most memorable structures written in music as far as I'm concerned are awash in this record, beginning with Ten Thousand Cranes, the very wavy clean guitar introduction, wading its way into treacherous territory seconds after the first guttural is unleashed. I can't forget a riff on this record and where it starts and how it sounds like, which doom metal's disposition is supposed to embellish upon; not obscure by amplifying the tone beyond recognition or by chugging the same power chords every minute while a delay pedal does the rest of the job.

The aggression and delicacy of all instruments in this record is top tier, from the gentle flutters on Ash and Dustto the grit and dark of tracks like Wormwood or To End All Ages. The vocalist switches things up from traditional doom metal bellows to a very agreeable singing voice. The drumming is never too similar to the rest of the tracks. The record has some "Alcest moments" if I can define it like that, where on the titular At Every Door the band dance with ambiance, open notes and ethereal, reverberating vocals. There are intermittent stops in and out of the record in which this happens, particularly Hegira and the choral and eternally memorable Ash and Dust.

5/5

Put short, this band knows how to do new doom metal right, keeps it relatively simple; bringing the riffs, the melancholic passages and a convincing theme. This is a diamond of modern music and doom metal in general. Forget Candlemass.

If you want the rest, you know where to go. I'll do the remaining 4 in the same fashion and I encourage those of you with forum ADD to do the same. Happy hunting.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_AWHOUHKN8
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
LOR

Number of posts : 7802
Hedonistic Glory : 13579
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Gwonam's Top 5 Albums of 2013: Installation 1   Gwonam's Top 5 Albums of 2013: Installation 1 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 5:29 pm

holy shit. i love this, this is just what I needed too. fucking rep. im really really digging this. great review
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/halloflor
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

Number of posts : 11611
Hedonistic Glory : 18462
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Gwonam's Top 5 Albums of 2013: Installation 1   Gwonam's Top 5 Albums of 2013: Installation 1 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 9:59 pm

Very interesting. Don't have time to read or delve into this right now, but I will definitely check this out later. I'll have my report on your desk by sunday
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

Number of posts : 27756
Hedonistic Glory : 27758
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Gwonam's Top 5 Albums of 2013: Installation 1   Gwonam's Top 5 Albums of 2013: Installation 1 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 7:45 pm

Thanks for providing the download link buddy. I've been into less heavy stuff lately, and this seems to fit exactly the bill I've been looking for

Annnnnnnd the download won't work properly on a Mac because I am a piece of shit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gwonam's Top 5 Albums of 2013: Installation 1   Gwonam's Top 5 Albums of 2013: Installation 1 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gwonam's Top 5 Albums of 2013: Installation 1
Page 1 of 1