Tip of the Hat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

MMORPGs

Go down 
+2
breakyoudown
Gwonam
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

Number of posts : 650
Hedonistic Glory : 4796
Joined In : 2013-04-26

MMORPGs Empty
PostSubject: MMORPGs   MMORPGs I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 7:23 pm

Does anybody play these godforsaken time sinks anymore? I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy XIV's latest incarnation and I've heard whispers of Elder Scrolls Online, along with Blizzard's developers for vanilla World of Warcraft making a game that resembles a cross between Toon Town and Despicable Me (which, is to say, it will be terrifyingly bad).

I've played some rather shitty ones in the past like Ragnarok Online, which on the official servers was just another grindfest Korean MMO, but on the widespread self-promoted server boom if you weren't a Brazilian resident you were treated like filth. Aion was pretty but played like shit, SWTOR was force choked out of existence too early, and the fact current and next generation FPS games are trying to integrate MMO elements in their games (see Halo 4/Black Ops character development systems and you'll understand immediately where they lifted this from) to total success.

FFXI was a terrific game in retrospect, and Phantasy Star Online was nothing short of a godsend for its time. Its successor, Phantasy Star Universe, wasn't so much. Anybody else have downtime and play these terribly addicting pieces of life-ruining software? Share some experiences you've had.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_AWHOUHKN8
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

Number of posts : 27756
Hedonistic Glory : 27758
Joined In : 2008-08-28

MMORPGs Empty
PostSubject: Re: MMORPGs   MMORPGs I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 11:21 am

In my day I played hours of Runescape under the account of Squidword42
Didn't even spell Squidward correctly

I remember I used to be such a high level that I occupied myself trying to trick others.

The game would block swear words. If you tried to say "suck" even it'd come up as ****

So a few times I'd say "Hey! Jagex games wont let you say your password out loud look! ********"
And then people would either call me a scammer, or would tell me their password.

Good times

Last edited by breakyoudown on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

MMORPGs Empty
PostSubject: Re: MMORPGs   MMORPGs I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 1:12 pm

Hahahah, that's awesome! PSO did the same thing to hilarious effect, you couldn't say basement due to semen, or shoes because of hoes. It was so funny! The game played very well for its time but it's quite antiquated.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

MMORPGs Empty
PostSubject: Re: MMORPGs   MMORPGs I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 4:55 pm

:Blue::Waving:Scroll: Selling Yew logs 10g ea!!!!
Back to top Go down
ImendiaBurzum
Elder
ImendiaBurzum

Number of posts : 15462
Hedonistic Glory : 13082
Joined In : 2008-08-30

MMORPGs Empty
PostSubject: Re: MMORPGs   MMORPGs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 2:20 am

im currently playing WoW on a PRIVATE server because FUCK Blizzard you aint getting my money....lots of people here and its pretty fun actually, im more of a MOBA player, Dota 2 and LoL are 2 of my most played games.

after this its my PS3, fallout 3 and NV are AWESOME, and Red Dead Redemption its just funny to play lazoing random faggots and pretend im a villian from the old western spaghettis throwin' those sons of bitches on the train tracks....besides that no more MMORPG's
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/dommaster66
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

MMORPGs Empty
PostSubject: Re: MMORPGs   MMORPGs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Online RPG's can offer you so much if you are willing to give the same amount, which I am not. Takes at least an hour of grinding per day or else your buddies will all blow past your level
Back to top Go down
Rumpintime
A Good Fellow
Rumpintime

Number of posts : 42
Hedonistic Glory : 3973
Joined In : 2013-08-19

MMORPGs Empty
PostSubject: Re: MMORPGs   MMORPGs I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 6:15 pm

Dude, you couldn't even say "Saturday" in PSO because it had "turd" in it. Hell, you couldn't even say a name of one of the weapons in the game, "Frozen Shooter", because it had hooter in it. There was also the Ano Rifle. Ano is some kind of explitive in a foreign language.
Back to top Go down
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

MMORPGs Empty
PostSubject: Re: MMORPGs   MMORPGs I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 5:11 am

I forgot about that! What an archaic word censoring system, it's like they had never heard of an if/then/iff loop
Back to top Go down
Rumpintime
A Good Fellow
Rumpintime

Number of posts : 42
Hedonistic Glory : 3973
Joined In : 2013-08-19

MMORPGs Empty
PostSubject: Re: MMORPGs   MMORPGs I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 8:22 am

And what's worse is Sega just copied it over to Phantasy Star Universe. Didn't even have an option to turn the fucker off, either. I think that's what pissed me off the most about their language filter. It was the only mmo I played that I couldn't shut off the language filter. Even Ragnarok Online had the option to turn the damn thing off.
Back to top Go down
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

MMORPGs Empty
PostSubject: Re: MMORPGs   MMORPGs I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 8:43 am

I wonder if it really was an outright copy/paste thing seeing that JPs likely didn't have a language filter and even if they did, I'm sure they had the option to set it off. It seems for anything to get done by Sega of America you have to hire RubyEclipse, the knight in shining armor, to save the day.

We all know how well that went.

Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

Number of posts : 11611
Hedonistic Glory : 18462
Joined In : 2009-01-21

MMORPGs Empty
PostSubject: Re: MMORPGs   MMORPGs I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 11:26 am

I've played my fair share, although not much anymore. I'm holding out for Elder Scrolls Online, that should be fun. I'll probably play it for a few months.

I played Runescape for like a year way back when. Played it pretty religiously with some friends. My mom restricted my access to the computer at that time (it was like an hour a day or something) so a friend of mine and i would stay after school to work on "programming," then when the teacher left we would play Runescape. It was just us two in the room and he would only come back ever so often, so we could play for like an hour or two. The internet censors got like more relaxed after 4pm, it was weird.

That same friend and I got into a period where we tried lots of different MMOs. We played Maplestory for quite a long time, some shitty free to play game called Fiesta, a couple simply browser based ones called Kingdom of Loathing (amazing game,) Travian (fun for about a week,) and Gladius (fun until we realized it was basically a cash shop scam, like most f2p)

I eventually convinced my mom to buy me World of Warcraft and pay for a subscription, and I played that super religiously for about two years. I helped found one of the best guilds on the server and was actually the second in command, it was a really fun time. Once I got to Burning Crusade, it started being less entertaining and when Wrath of the Lich King came out quit playing altogether.

Other than that, I tried Star Wars the Old Republic. It seemed really fun, but I mostly went through solo. I started getting really strapped for time and cash when I moved out for college so I stopped paying for it. Still really want to pick it back up, it seemed pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

MMORPGs Empty
PostSubject: Re: MMORPGs   MMORPGs I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 1:05 pm

Granted the SWTOR has become F2P, that seems closer to a reality for you, yes?
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

MMORPGs Empty
PostSubject: Re: MMORPGs   MMORPGs I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 2:22 pm

I think I read somewhere that The Elder Scrolls online will cost $15 per month.
I can't ever see myself doing that. If I were to pay for a monthly gaming service it'd definitely be PSN+
That's nearly half my monthly gym membership
Back to top Go down
laydee
A Good Fellow
laydee

Number of posts : 63
Hedonistic Glory : 3996
Joined In : 2013-08-13

MMORPGs Empty
PostSubject: Re: MMORPGs   MMORPGs I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 2:38 pm

breakyoudown wrote:
I think I read somewhere that The Elder Scrolls online will cost $15 per month.
I can't ever see myself doing that. If I were to pay for a monthly gaming service it'd definitely be PSN+
That's nearly half my monthly gym membership
Play WoW!!!!
Back to top Go down
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

MMORPGs Empty
PostSubject: Re: MMORPGs   MMORPGs I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 2:59 pm

That's funny because Rumpintime and I just quit WoW. It sucks out your brain and replaces it with stupid!

But seriously, I had some good times but it seems like they cater to all the wrong people: difficulty crybabies and mages, the scourge of the game.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

Number of posts : 11611
Hedonistic Glory : 18462
Joined In : 2009-01-21

MMORPGs Empty
PostSubject: Re: MMORPGs   MMORPGs I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 7:36 pm

That and all the expansions suck.

I know it's free to play, but that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Especially when you see all the restrictions for being a free to play account
Back to top Go down
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

MMORPGs Empty
PostSubject: Re: MMORPGs   MMORPGs I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 7:16 pm

If it makes you feel any better, FFXIV feels very much like its predecessor just with a modern control scheme. It isn't bad or anything but I'm wondering how it'll hold for me in a week's time with all of its embarrassingly bad server problems. They've had 3 years to get this shit right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MMORPGs Empty
PostSubject: Re: MMORPGs   MMORPGs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MMORPGs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tip of the Hat :: Preposterous Palaver and Infinite Jest-
Jump to: