Tip of the Hat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?

Go down 
5 posters

Hmm
Xbox
What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  Vote_lcap0%What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Gamecube
What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  Vote_lcap0%What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
PS2
What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  Vote_lcap100%What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  Vote_rcap
 100% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

Number of posts : 27756
Hedonistic Glory : 27754
Joined In : 2008-08-28

What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  Empty
PostSubject: What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?    What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 1:35 pm

I actually owned all three at different points and I would safely claim that I played most of the blockbusters for these consoles. Off the top of my head I'd put these as the leaders

Xbox: Halo, KOTOR, Ninja Gaiden
Gamecube: Smash Brothers, Wind Waker, RE 4
PS2: GTA Vice City, Shadow of the Colossus, Jak and Daxter

Trying to go with exclusives as you can know they share some of the AAA titles

I think, although I owned it the least- I'd have to rank them as:
PS2
Xbox
Gamecube

PS2: just has an endless number of games and even the ones that are 7/10 are plentiful and you would probably enjoy a lot of them. Way too many star games to keep track of. Then there are games that are meant for PS2 that other systems got but the experience wont be the same as on the original IE Silent Hill 2. Also played DVDs

Xbox: You can't go wrong with it. Shares many titles with the PS2 and you get the Halo series which was Multiplayer heaven and set the standard for years. There is a huge variety of games to play that you'd never think of and honestly it's biggest weakness is that it was phased out way too soon. The graphics were also the best by far.

Gamecube: When it hit gold, it was amazing and it provided you with endless hours of fun. Then I feel like there was a huge drop from there. There was about five games I'd give 10/10 or 9/10 then pretty much all the rest were 7s and lower in my mind. The system was kind of a flop for the most. Nintendo always misses out on most of the action games that are released and it doesn't look they are going to start getting them anytime soon. However it was probably the best party system and I plan on keeping mine for getting drunk and playing it
Back to top Go down
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

Number of posts : 650
Hedonistic Glory : 4792
Joined In : 2013-04-26

PostSubject: Re: What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?    What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 1:44 pm

Where's the Dreamcast? Oh, right... PS2 killed it. Sad day.

The PS2 had a seemingly endless possibilities at the time: there were few games that came out on it that people weren't "holy shit" about. Xbox was indeed a haven for multiplayer games but at the end of the day all of the enjoyable RPGs, FPS games, driving games, fighting games, action games, adventure games, dungeon crawls and pretty much every genre of game that came out on PS2 were bigger, badder and better than the rest.

They only stopped manufacturing the PS2 in December of last year. If I may be brash enough to quote Kanye West, it was the best selling console of all time*. Not to say that money talks 100% of the time, but let's face facts

I say this all knowing I spent thousands of hours on Phantasy Star Online during the idiot teenager saga on my Gamecube and while that is probably my most memorable experience on a console, the age really starts to show. What games on Gamecube were really that awesome? You had Twilight Princess at the last minute, Wind Waker, Skies of Arcadia (a Dreamcast port, go figure) PSO (here we go again with the Dreamcast), a gaggle of Mario games and a Metal Gear Solid upscale (originally on a Sony console). I can't really remember any other titles from Gamecube that were exclusive to the console that strike me as being definitive of that generation of gaming. Looks like the Wii U is going this route too, what a shame

Kanye West was not available for comment on the subject of the Playstation 2, so we found an actual, legitimate source for this statement here.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_AWHOUHKN8

PostSubject: Re: What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?    What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 3:08 pm

EDITED
1st - PS2 - accessible, so many games, durable machine, riding Playstation 1 Franchising and fame
2nd - X-Box - Nice try, guy. But you're cluncky and awkward. Pretty graphics, good games, but not established yet. KOTOR and Halo <3 though
3rd - Gamecube - This controller looks like dogbarf. Go home dinobreath.

Last edited by Gravy Gulper on Fri May 10, 2013 4:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

PostSubject: Re: What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?    What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 4:13 pm

I actually found Twilight Princess to be a complete chore to play. I simply did not have much fun playing it. It felt like a Wii game because that's what it was meant for. I have no room in my heart for motion controls and it turned me off of Nintendo for good.

Xbox was exciting because it was a brand new company making games.

I am fully aboard the PS3 train now.

However I will admit I played Gears of war 1 and 2 until they bled. I logged a retarded amount of hours into it.

Back on topic

PS3 is doing interesting things by remastering and porting classics.
360 halfassed BC and about 100 titles can be played on it. Some are exactly what you want to play, some are really buggy and the rest of the BC selection is beyond brutal.

I think physical backward compatibility is nearing an end. However, I can see online accounts transferring to the future system. This is exciting because one, EB games are dicks. And two you wont have to keep all your games on a shelf that will eventually get scratched and stop working, you can just use the same username and keep your games digitally forever like on Steam

An interesting question is who is winning this generation?

The Wii's sales are unreal I know that for sure
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

Number of posts : 11611
Hedonistic Glory : 18458
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?    What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 9:17 pm

I've owned all three of the last generation consoles, and I thought there were all pretty great.

Xbox
Started the online gaming craze, even though I never utilized it's functionality. Was a very reliable system, my xbox is still running strong today. I had a bunch of great games for it, not sure which are exclusives but anyway it had Fable, Halo, KOTOR, Morrowind, Conker Live and Reloaded, GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas, Jade Empire, Mechassault and probably some others

PS2
Playing games was like the only thing this did, and it didn't do it that well for me. Two of my ps2s broke after a period of time. Had some great games though, like Metal Gear Solid, all the GTA games, Gran Turismo, .hack and Ace Combat

Gamecube
Great system, portable, durable, offered great multiplayer games and singleplayer. Included Eternal Darkness, Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes, Zelda Four Swords, Zelda Twilight Princess, Zelda Collection, Mario Golf, Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, Pokenmon XD, Super Smash Brothers

Gamecube was probably the best of the three, followed by Xbox. While most of my favorite games for the generation were played on Xbox, the sheer amount of good titles available on Gamecube was a force to be reckoned with. PS2 had some great games too, but the console just sucked for me. Probably just a bad experience with the hardware, but eh. So I'd say Gamecube, Xbox, PS2
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

PostSubject: Re: What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?    What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 12:10 am

If I had to rate Gamecube's top games I'd choose:
Smash Brothers: Everything about it was fun and the unlockables were endless.
Wind Waker
Mario Sunshine
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil

I was actually quite disappointed in Eternal Darkness.
Also was I the only one that thought Metroid Prime was terrible? I had zero fun playing it. It was like a first person Zelda in the absolute worse way
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?    What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 4:33 am

I've got a 360 and a PS3, but I barely use the PS3. So here it goes.
1) 360 - So many fantastic games. Great networking. Netflix (although I know its not exclusive to X-box), HBO GO, Crackle, Zune, this is a multimedia machine. Natural and excellent controller design. Plenty of exclusive titles and franchises. X-box Live: Arcade - indie games out the ass, this is really cool. Just wish Bioware would fucking make KOTOR III.
2) PS3 - Had a lotta the same things going for it, I guess I mostly just prefer the 360's exclusive to the ones PS3 secured. slightly crappier controller, although that sixaxis is cool.
3) WII - where is the controller? lol this is retarded. only a little kid could ... oh shit little kids make up like the entire buying force, huh?
Back to top Go down
Gwonam
Mr. Game and Watch
Mr. Game and Watch
Gwonam

Number of posts : 650
Hedonistic Glory : 4792
Joined In : 2013-04-26

PostSubject: Re: What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?    What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 4:47 am

Twilight Princess on GC was tuned for the GC controller pretty well, I liked it, but it was critically panned for being too vast for its own good

PS3 exclusives caused me to go there first (MGS4 comes to mind immediately), Wii second for the obvious Mario/Zelda franchise titles when a price cut took place and I got 360 in last place just for the few games that weren't getting PS3 ports until far too late in the game

I don't like this whole subscription based online service thing Microsoft has going on. It's clear people are willing to pay for server presence and connectivity but it's a testament to how dead in the water their software R&D is with the operating systems they're developing and the bids against MS Office in recent years probably made this at least at the corporate level justifiable. Placed next to the competition, Sony offers all of that for virtually nothing unless you go for their PS+ package which involves getting some demos early and a gold star next to your name. Shit I don't care about, anyway

The very few experiences I had on Xbox Live, I found out my mother was a woman of very ill repute from the established community of informants known as "ClAn 69d YoUr DoG lAsT nIgHt LoL #swag"
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_AWHOUHKN8
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

PostSubject: Re: What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?    What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 9:41 am

You know what would be an interesting topic?

PS3 vs Wii vs Xbox vs Steam

In my mind Steam destroys the others. But I wouldn't pick it because I own a Mac. And even the games I can play sometimes run like a slideshow at important moments.
"Run bootcamp you asshole"
"Yeah because then I'll be able to play Crisis right?"

Can't even run The Witcher.

Back on topic. There has been rumours that a system called the Steam Box is being developed. So in theory its a console version and you'd have all your games that you've ever bought permanently on there to play and there would be really no reason to ever upgrade overly often with all the games that are compatible with it. Stores could sell digital codes of games for customers to go home and download. This would however disperse half the community unless they could have it so that you play both console and PC players.
If this ever happens I would be pretty happy. My Steam ID is Guy Pearce lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?    What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Interesting. Someone was working on something called OnLive. you'd plug your computer into it and it was supposed to boost your computers gaming capability and it came with a controller. No idea what happened.
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
Taxer666

Number of posts : 7204
Hedonistic Glory : 13185
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?    What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 4:53 pm

What ever sold more is what won. Which you prefer is a different story altogether.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

PostSubject: Re: What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?    What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 5:12 pm

The question is definitely preference for the best exclusive titles. Another reason I don't think Gamecube is in the picture because they did not get a lot of the shared titles between the others and that is becoming a trend

They sell well, but I won't buy another console from them
Back to top Go down
TheskyisblueFTW
The Magician
TheskyisblueFTW

Number of posts : 2722
Hedonistic Glory : 9077
Joined In : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?    What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  I_icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 9:12 pm

I like steam because it's digital and everything is there. The only problem is accessibility if you don't have a good enough computer you can't play some games. Also I can't share games with my friends. Another thing multiplayer is almost all entirely online dependant. I really dislike that I prefer local for that kind of thing.

Ps3 and Xbox are both the same for me. I like as many things about PS3 as I do with Xbox, and they both have as many flaws.

Good Wii games are pretty scarce. It's pretty much what you grew up with is still pretty fun Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, and Kirby. There are like only a few good Wii games that are third party that I can think of.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/DX.Robots
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?    What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What console do you think won the last generation of gaming?
Page 1 of 1