Tip of the Hat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Most disappointing albums/releases of all time

Go down 
+4
Dave
spineshank155
Bloodbeast
Axe
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

Number of posts : 11611
Hedonistic Glory : 18462
Joined In : 2009-01-21

Most disappointing albums/releases of all time Empty
PostSubject: Most disappointing albums/releases of all time   Most disappointing albums/releases of all time I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 7:56 am

What are the ones that made you want to crawl into the corner and cry?

Metallica - St. Anger
Obvious choice, but it has to be here

Morbid Angel - Illud Div-whatever insane something
If I want to hear Marilyn Manson, I'll just kill myself and save myself the trouble

The Morningside - Moving Crosscurrent of Time
Honestly I could not get into this album, especially after their glorious debut. It's not bad by any means, but it definitely wasn't anywhere near as good as their first effort.

Norther - Circle Regenerated
Of course it's Norther without Petri, who was fired because he was in Ensiferum as well. But it's pretty much metalcore garbage. Speaking of which...

Children of Bodom - Relentless Reckless Forever
I could deal with Blooddrunk. It was a solid 6/10, mediocre but not really terrible. But this album just plain sucks. More metalcore drivel, which was even more annoying when I saw them live because all of the scene fags there only knew their recent stuff. Go figure.

Pagan's Mind - God's Equation
Enigmatic: Calling is one of my favorite albums of all time. But then Pagan's Mind had to go and release this. It took everything out of their style that was memorable or good, and replaced it with mediocrity. At least they realized their mistake and released Heavenly Ecstasy afterwards to regain some of their fans.

Sonata Arctica - Unia
I know there aren't many euro power metal fans on the board, but I really enjoy this band. But Unia is a terrible album. Their was literally only one good song on the entire album. The rest is drivel.

Iron Maiden - any album with an "X" in the title
Blaze Bailey or whatever his name is sucks ass.

Danzig - all albums post Danzig III
I mean come on, the first three albums are fucking awesome! But it quickly turned to shit for some strange reason.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most disappointing albums/releases of all time   Most disappointing albums/releases of all time I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:37 am

Whoa.

Moving Crosscurrent of Time as disappointing? Of all time at that? No - not at all, at least not from where I'm sitting. Everything that was present on the first record is present on MCoT, and while I'll happily agree it isn't as eye-opening as their previous record, I love the thrash influence injected into it. The melodies are in full force and it's a worthy successor to The Wind, the Trees and the Shadows of the Past.

I can't see that album next to Unia, St. Anger, Radikult dumbfuckery or anything Children of Bodom put out. It just doesn't look right.

Nine Inch Nails - The Slip

I love Reznor, I'm not afraid to admit it. The guy puts out solid industrial rock albums and I'm typically very impressed with everything he does. The Slip was done once before -- it was called Year Zero. The Slip, however, is everything YZ is not: well executed, brought to life by an enigmatic time-travel ARG that we were able to participate in and a complex, innovative story about an album we shouldn't be listening to, much less know exists.

The Slip is YZ without all that. It remains unidentified by itself, allowing for personal interpretation. Not a good direction for something that's supposed to be audiovisual. I hope he tries something like YZ again. It can even sound like The Slip - but it needs more context than album art.

Scar Symmetry - Dark Matter Dimensions

I don't know how they lost their old vocalist but I don't really care. Without him, they're in the shitter with the rest of generic sweeping "death" metal crap. I remember reading he also did a shitload of composing for them, which is why Holographic Universe sounded so incredible and original compared to their previous works. Fancy that.

Sirenia - The Enigma of Life

Do something else, Mr. Veland. We're not impressed with the same record anymore.

Evergrey - Torn

See previous post. Evergrey are beasts and I love them for what they're doing to darken the progressive metal phenomenon a bit more. Tom Englund has a bad habit of reusing the same formula as Recreation Day (which was an incredible album), making Rikard Zander take a back seat with the exception of two songs while he sings even more pompously of pain and agony.

I fully understand that's the pretense of the band and that's what we're supposed to hear, but if we wanted another Recreation Day... well, I think we would just go listen to that album. RD's immediate successor, The Inner Circle, performed with the Gothenburg Symphonic Orchestra, was an immaculate, sweeping journey of songs that never let you down and either banged your head or made you take a step back and think. It was sheer beauty.

Then we got MMA, which wasn't incredible but still listenable... then Torn. I just read that all of the members left the band a year after that record due to irreconcilable differences with how the music was going, leaving only Tom Englund and Rikard Zander in the band. They released an album in February called Glorious Collision. My hopes aren't high, but I hope this is better than Torn...
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

PostSubject: Re: Most disappointing albums/releases of all time   Most disappointing albums/releases of all time I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:52 am

I mean it's not nearly as bad as the others, but it disappointed me on a personal level. See I think the thrashy influence ruined it for me. At least the atmosphere. I had actually hoped that they would throw some neofolk influence in, at least even more than they had. The doom/folk vibe was what made The Wind... one of my favorite albums. Some call it agalloch worship but it really had its own identity. MCoT just seemed like they were trying to get more accessible or something, i just didn't much care for that direction.

I agree with Evergrey. The problem with an early masterpiece is that every album after that is compared to it. So they feel the need to reuse the same formula time and time again, which gets stale because it doesnt have the character of its prototype. I have a chance to see Evergrey this fall but Im not sure if im going to go because of this, there are other concerts i can use the money for
Back to top Go down
Bloodbeast
The Cuddle Monster
Bloodbeast

Number of posts : 1638
Hedonistic Glory : 7251
Joined In : 2009-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Most disappointing albums/releases of all time   Most disappointing albums/releases of all time I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 10:47 am

Ensiferum - From Afar
Back to top Go down
spineshank155
A Very Classy Extreme Metalhead
spineshank155

Number of posts : 547
Hedonistic Glory : 5420
Joined In : 2011-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Most disappointing albums/releases of all time   Most disappointing albums/releases of all time I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 11:00 am

In Flames - A Sense of Purpose
The production is horrible & the lyrics makes Anders sound like a whiny emo person.

Fear Factory - Digimortal
Even though i listened to this album probably a million time already i can't wrap this around my head on how a band could do A soul of A new Machine/Demanufacture & come out with this mtv crap.

Cryptopsy - The Spoken King
Deathcore!? GUYS!? Come on! Rolling Eyes

That's all i have for now.. well that & Illud from Morbid Angel.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/spineshank155
Dave
Top Lad
Dave

Number of posts : 127
Hedonistic Glory : 4945
Joined In : 2011-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Most disappointing albums/releases of all time   Most disappointing albums/releases of all time I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 12:28 pm

Chinese Democracy lawl
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

PostSubject: Re: Most disappointing albums/releases of all time   Most disappointing albums/releases of all time I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 12:44 pm

Bloodbeast wrote:
Ensiferum - From Afar

But then again you don't like any Ensiferum
Back to top Go down
Bloodbeast
The Cuddle Monster
Bloodbeast

Number of posts : 1638
Hedonistic Glory : 7251
Joined In : 2009-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Most disappointing albums/releases of all time   Most disappointing albums/releases of all time I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 2:44 pm

Axe wrote:
Bloodbeast wrote:
Ensiferum - From Afar

But then again you don't like any Ensiferum
You are mistaken, I do like Ensiferum, not as much as everyone else who likes them on this forum, but I do like them.
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
Taxer666

Number of posts : 7204
Hedonistic Glory : 13189
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Most disappointing albums/releases of all time   Most disappointing albums/releases of all time I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 7:39 pm

Atheist - Jupiter
Morbid Angel - Illud Diinum Insanus
Pestilence - Spheres

+ other shit
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child
Darkflame

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 13790
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Most disappointing albums/releases of all time   Most disappointing albums/releases of all time I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 8:01 pm

I like From Afar. It's probably their weakes album, but still pretty decent, I think.

Trivium's new album, In Waves was quite a dissapointment. Not as terrible as the title track had led me to believe but it was just quite...meh.
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
Taxer666

Number of posts : 7204
Hedonistic Glory : 13189
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Most disappointing albums/releases of all time   Most disappointing albums/releases of all time I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:21 pm

How can you be disappointed by trash
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

PostSubject: Re: Most disappointing albums/releases of all time   Most disappointing albums/releases of all time I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 5:27 am

Oh shit bloodbeast I thought you were Taxer. Change your avatar please haha

I like From Afar a lot, it's nothing groundbreaking but it's basically more of the same. That and Smoking Ruins was an amazing track
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 12191
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Most disappointing albums/releases of all time   Most disappointing albums/releases of all time I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 6:05 am

Taxer666 wrote:
How can you be disappointed by trash

Axe wrote:
Oh shit bloodbeast I thought you were Taxer. Change your avatar please haha

What tipped you off?
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 12191
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Most disappointing albums/releases of all time   Most disappointing albums/releases of all time I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 6:07 am

I don't really remember any disappointments. There definitely weren't any huge disappointments. I don't keep on top of new releases that much so usually by the time something new comes out I don't have any real attachment to it unless it ends up being good.
Back to top Go down
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
LOR

Number of posts : 7802
Hedonistic Glory : 13579
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Most disappointing albums/releases of all time   Most disappointing albums/releases of all time I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 1:23 pm

i honestly dont think unia is so bad it needs to be on this list. theirs a couple cool stuff on their. its not typical sonata however which is why it ticked alot people off though. and i also enjoyed from afar though its def not one of their best.

for me
kamelot- poetry for the poisoned

uh... idk. usually if i can find a couple good songs on an album its worth it for me. IM JUST NOT THINKING HARD ENOUGH. ILL BE BACK... HOPEFULLY
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/halloflor
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most disappointing albums/releases of all time   Most disappointing albums/releases of all time I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Most disappointing albums/releases of all time
Page 1 of 1