Tip of the Hat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Which huge band do you not listen to?

Go down 
+5
Darkflame
LOR
Taxer666
VacuousReality
breakyoudown
9 posters
AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

Number of posts : 27756
Hedonistic Glory : 27758
Joined In : 2008-08-28

Which huge band do you not listen to? Empty
PostSubject: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 11:39 am

I don't have a single Megadeth song. I like them once in an odd while but it gets really annoying after a while
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 12191
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 11:44 am

Metallica. Just haven't listened to them much. I like their music though.
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
Taxer666

Number of posts : 7204
Hedonistic Glory : 13189
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 11:45 am

Insane Clown Posse
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 11:53 am

Would Pantera be considered huge still?
Also don't listen to Slayer/Mastodon
Back to top Go down
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
LOR

Number of posts : 7802
Hedonistic Glory : 13579
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 1:22 pm

i dont listen to anything really on this page. occasionally metallica and megadeth though
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/halloflor

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 3:32 pm

hey, it's a hipster thread where we hate on mainstream crap because it (legitimately) sucks

I wish I could name all the bullshit I don't listen to but the short list is that if it isn't thought provoking I don't listen to it

That said U2 can go fuck themselves, if not for their utterly shit music and bad attitude but for causing all the parking garages on September 12, 2009 to fill up leaving myself and a couple friends with a Chinese garage that operated 8 hours a day, so after seeing Agalloch we fucking froze in Illinois while Bono, who for 50 fucking years hasn't found what he's looking for

honestly fuck that group
Back to top Go down
LOR
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 4:22 pm

sounds like you just have a grudge on them. but that being said. i also hate u2... but also more specifially im not a fan of bono cuz i get the feeling he just does all that charity stuff so people KNOW he does charity stuff... yeah i know they doing good deeds and thats something to be commended... but the fact that it seems like its being advertised.... that they are doing it is soooo............... high and mighty? is that word... in any case seems pretty douchy to me. idk.
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child
Darkflame

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 13790
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 7:04 pm

Having been to see U2 (don't ask) I can whole heartedly agree with the whole "high and mighty" thing. Near the end of the concert Bono started preaching about the environment while his face was projected across a stadium by 50 foot screens which were attached to their energy destroying monstrosity of a stage shining exactly one gazillion lights everywhere. Everyone loves a nice hypocrite.

But yeah I don't listen to Judas Priest. Wanna fight about it?
Back to top Go down
GuyIncognito
True Gentleman
GuyIncognito

Number of posts : 1151
Hedonistic Glory : 6467
Joined In : 2010-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 8:03 pm

U2
Kiss
Judas Priest
Beach Boys
Janis Joplin
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
Taxer666

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 8:35 pm

No Priest? Falses.
Back to top Go down
BuiltToSpill

BuiltToSpill

Number of posts : 24
Hedonistic Glory : 5200
Joined In : 2010-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 11:56 pm

I'm surprised that the rest of the band can keep up with Bono's bullshit
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 12:06 am

Did he not win a Nobel Peace prize
Back to top Go down
LOR
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 1:07 am

i like priest. i dont listen to the beatles... fight me, they just dont do anything for me. but i aknowledge their conbtribution to rock music.

@builttospill, well, the edge is called "the edge" for starters. who puts a fucking "the" in front of your name... pretentious people. thats who. LOOK AT ME, I USE DELAY PEDALS AND 500 RACK EFFECTS AND BOSS PEDALS SO PEOPLE THINK I CAN PLAY GUITAR.

that sounded mean. but i kinda meant it. maybe thats meant more for the fans to read.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

Number of posts : 11611
Hedonistic Glory : 18462
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 1:50 am

There are plenty I'm sure. I despise Cannibal Corpse. Well I did at one point, I can tolerate them but I don't think they are anything special at all. Some of the second wave black metal bands, Gorgoroth, Satyricon, etc. I just didn't think it was all that great. Speaking of black metal, I never really got into any of the first wave bands except Bathory. Celtic Frost was just okay, and Venom was... just okay as well. As for power metal, I never really liked Iced Earth at all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 12:04 pm

Agree, agree and agree, Axe.

A ton of originating black metal is shit compared to what we have now but I suppose there's a proxy evil to an otherwise cherished genre. Can't really say the same for power metal because it's all been the same since Manowar but it's enjoyable if you're not looking to take it seriously.

The Beatles are a stain on pop culture anymore -- not because of their successful career back when they were still relevant but the autodafé that spawned from it to the Apple versus Beatles cockwaving that went on to the less-than-tact thing John Lennon married trying to become Cher. Not to mention the horrible fandom that persists today; teenagers and Alzheimer's alike. I expect to see Opeth fans as bad in about 15 years.

I do hold a grudge against U2. I was in the wasteland which is Chicago without transportation for 9 hours after what was an incredible concert watching a band that weren't a bunch of self-obsessed autistics. Honestly, if there's any probability that Bono isn't stupid he's milking the windbag resource of every rerun culture sap in the world that existed back in 1968 and feeding them remixed versions of old tracks, letting us know that fucker still hasn't found what he's looking for. Of course, there's still the probability that he isn't smart enough to manipulate the American machine and just yelled loud enough to get recognized and does it because it works.

A longtime friend of mine once said: "pop music is evidence nobody is really listening." Douglas Pearce said something in an interview that jumps this and effectively summarizes (quite neatly, I might add) what probably is the mindset of at least a few of us:

Quote :
Do you consider yourselves as a maverick in the music scene?

P: No, I feel very much part of the music scene. I love having Susan Boyle, Eminem and Oasis over for dinner, reading the bible and sharing our drugs of choice.

laughing

I think Bono won a Nobel Peace Prize but it was revoked by Alfred Nobel himself when even Bono, in all his righteousness, shook George W. Bush's hand. This caused him to turn over in his grave, go to them and peel it from his list of accomplishments he keeps on display, alongside feeding starving children and decoding the human genome and I'll be damned if he doesn't claim he invented the internet in another 10 years. If that wasn't an effective "fuck you" to all his fans after being the pseudo-activist he is, I don't know what else they could interpret that as.

Not that I've got a problem with GWB or anything. Swell guy!
Back to top Go down
LOR
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 2:24 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 3:55 pm

I haven't seen a South Park episode in ages, but if this is what's become of them...

Holy shit, I need to start watching this more.
Back to top Go down
link
Deliciously Fat
link

Number of posts : 7786
Hedonistic Glory : 12858
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Anymore, Metallica, they don't interest me much after seeing Megadeth live.
Back to top Go down
LOR
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 3:38 am

trilithonian wrote:
I haven't seen a South Park episode in ages, but if this is what's become of them...

Holy shit, I need to start watching this more.

haha. i love that show. maybe 1 or 2 bad episodes ever (one being this season). its always ridiculous which is a thing i like. and thanks to whoever repped me.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

Number of posts : 11611
Hedonistic Glory : 18462
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 8:14 am

trilithonian wrote:
Agree, agree and agree, Axe.

A ton of originating black metal is shit compared to what we have now but I suppose there's a proxy evil to an otherwise cherished genre. Can't really say the same for power metal because it's all been the same since Manowar but it's enjoyable if you're not looking to take it seriously.

The Beatles are a stain on pop culture anymore -- not because of their successful career back when they were still relevant but the autodafé that spawned from it to the Apple versus Beatles cockwaving that went on to the less-than-tact thing John Lennon married trying to become Cher. Not to mention the horrible fandom that persists today; teenagers and Alzheimer's alike. I expect to see Opeth fans as bad in about 15 years.

I do hold a grudge against U2. I was in the wasteland which is Chicago without transportation for 9 hours after what was an incredible concert watching a band that weren't a bunch of self-obsessed autistics. Honestly, if there's any probability that Bono isn't stupid he's milking the windbag resource of every rerun culture sap in the world that existed back in 1968 and feeding them remixed versions of old tracks, letting us know that fucker still hasn't found what he's looking for. Of course, there's still the probability that he isn't smart enough to manipulate the American machine and just yelled loud enough to get recognized and does it because it works.

A longtime friend of mine once said: "pop music is evidence nobody is really listening." Douglas Pearce said something in an interview that jumps this and effectively summarizes (quite neatly, I might add) what probably is the mindset of at least a few of us:

Quote :
Do you consider yourselves as a maverick in the music scene?

P: No, I feel very much part of the music scene. I love having Susan Boyle, Eminem and Oasis over for dinner, reading the bible and sharing our drugs of choice.

laughing

I think Bono won a Nobel Peace Prize but it was revoked by Alfred Nobel himself when even Bono, in all his righteousness, shook George W. Bush's hand. This caused him to turn over in his grave, go to them and peel it from his list of accomplishments he keeps on display, alongside feeding starving children and decoding the human genome and I'll be damned if he doesn't claim he invented the internet in another 10 years. If that wasn't an effective "fuck you" to all his fans after being the pseudo-activist he is, I don't know what else they could interpret that as.

Not that I've got a problem with GWB or anything. Swell guy!

I respect the first wave for paving the way, but from a musical standpoint I think it's mostly forgettable when there is so much better stuff now. As for second wave, there are still some pretty great bands. Emperor was always great, and stuff like Fleurety and In the Woods... are still fantastic to this day.

I agree about The Beatles. I mean, I'm a fan of their music, but come on shit the fuck up about them already. We get it, they were good at writing catchy pop songs. They don't deserve to be the icons they are today. They deserve respect for sure, but it's blown way out of proportion
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 8:29 am

t'was me, LOR. I found it a very simple answer to a very annoying problem and I appreciated it.

Emperor is indeed wonderful as are Fleurety and In the Woods... but there aren't much "first wave" bands that really have that to say about them. Except Emperor, of course. There was avant-garde insanity going on with all of them (hell, I think it's acceptable to add Arcturus and Ulver's first works to this list) and it was the only real persisting element of that time until today.

I can compare the Beatles/U2 phenomena much to the ilk of people who worship Black Sabbath due to their influence on what was coined at the time "doom metal." I don't hear a single bit of Sabbath in any of Saturnus or Daylight Dies tracks. It's evidence that the genre is an evolving thing and while it may have been relevant and helped to sustain something at the time, what became of it becomes transcended. Of course, you'll have people that cling to the roots -- which, don't get me wrong, is absolutely fine -- but as soon as their fandom overtakes their ability to rationalize that times change, then you've got a problem.

Surprisingly enough, Current 93 are perpetually relevant so it's no problem for me! /monocle
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 11:31 am

I pretty much don't listen to most the bands here listed, especially Metallica and the Beatles.. and U2. Also, I don't really listen to Burzum either, I dunno if they're a big band but they seem to be the most known black metal band from all the black metal fans I've gotten to known or whatever. And Iron Maiden. I just can't seem to listen to them. I don't listen to Darkthrone's black metal stuff but I used to listen to their death metal
Back to top Go down
LOR
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 1:30 pm

trilithonian wrote:
t'was me, LOR. I found it a very simple answer to a very annoying problem and I appreciated it.

Emperor is indeed wonderful as are Fleurety and In the Woods... but there aren't much "first wave" bands that really have that to say about them. Except Emperor, of course. There was avant-garde insanity going on with all of them (hell, I think it's acceptable to add Arcturus and Ulver's first works to this list) and it was the only real persisting element of that time until today.

I can compare the Beatles/U2 phenomena much to the ilk of people who worship Black Sabbath due to their influence on what was coined at the time "doom metal." I don't hear a single bit of Sabbath in any of Saturnus or Daylight Dies tracks. It's evidence that the genre is an evolving thing and while it may have been relevant and helped to sustain something at the time, what became of it becomes transcended. Of course, you'll have people that cling to the roots -- which, don't get me wrong, is absolutely fine -- but as soon as their fandom overtakes their ability to rationalize that times change, then you've got a problem.

Surprisingly enough, Current 93 are perpetually relevant so it's no problem for me! /monocle

Danke!

also i think fandom can also be a huge problem in that it prevents alot of people from listening to new and different music. I mean I used to know a billion kids back in highschool where their favorite genre was "classic rock". where i live thats basically the default i think. those people are also people i think who were afraid to accept that there is other good music out there from our time period. its just takes some searching.
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
Taxer666

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 5:27 pm

I don't think I listen to any huge non-metal band aside from Boston and Journey.

As far as metal goes: Anthrax, Cannibal Corpse, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, and pretty much everything else that's boring and sucks.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 7:48 pm

Slayer
Back to top Go down
LOR
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 1:28 am

Taxer666 wrote:
I don't think I listen to any huge non-metal band aside from Boston and Journey.

As far as metal goes: Anthrax, Cannibal Corpse, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, and pretty much everything else that's boring and sucks.

i love them haha. Boston was one of my first favorite bands i think
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 12191
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 6:03 am

I don't listen to many big non-metal bands. I just try to listen to a variety of things though, and things I'll enjoy. I never listened to music for philosophy or social reasons or anything like that. Maybe for atmosphere and concept though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which huge band do you not listen to?   Which huge band do you not listen to? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which huge band do you not listen to?
Page 1 of 1