Tip of the Hat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Toys (Defining Your Youth?)

Go down 
+7
who?
Taxer666
ImendiaBurzum
blackstar
breakyoudown
VacuousReality
Darknessia01
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Darknessia01
A Scholar
Darknessia01

Number of posts : 289
Hedonistic Glory : 5685
Joined In : 2009-09-20

Toys (Defining Your Youth?) Empty
PostSubject: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 8:34 am

Unless you were raised under some sort of metaphysical 'rock', it is fair to assume that everyone here has played with some sort of toy in their childhood and adolescence. The question i'm trying to get as is:

How do toys define our personalities, growing up and into adolescence?

Do girls who play with Barbies become obsessed with their self-image, or is it simply disconnected with the psyche.

If someone is given a toy instrument, might they become a musician upon growing up?
I mostly played with the plastic Troll dolls and some board games

Do these things have any effect on who we are as individuals?

Let me know what you think.

(Can include anything you believe to be toy, even videogames or internet)

I think toys play an important role but don't define what you will become
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 12188
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 8:39 am

Well it depends some. In my case I think I just went for what I already knew I was interested in; anything powerful and destructive.

I think some toys, like Legos, might have an effect on a kid. I have a friend who still plays with his Legos and he's going to become an engineer. He wrote about Legos for his college application essay. Another friend I have considered writing the same essays but now days he plays around with his computer hardware and things of that nature. He's also looking to become an engineer.

As for what becoming individuals...everything has an effect, and it can be complicated. I was a video game kid as opposed to a sports kid, so when I got into school I was an underling. I ran into a kid who treated me as an equal but he was a little bit twisted, but I went with it and that had an effect on me. Then, extracting from my childhood fascination of the sciences, I started to think about the nature of the universe and cause and effect. I ended up questioning some fundamental things and perhaps my run-in with my friend helped me to be a little more open minded. Etc. etc. Everything has a role.

So I'd just say it's a piece of the puzzle.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

Number of posts : 27756
Hedonistic Glory : 27755
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 3:04 pm

Definitely 100% Pokemon. When I was about 7-10 years old I loved it to death. Collected Pokemon everything. Even the stuff I had that wasn't Pokemon I would relate it to Pokemon. I had a stuffed dog that I called Growlithe. Even now the only game I'll play on my gameboy is Pokemon. A truly heavy show that dominated everyone's youth in my school. Not liking Pokemon would be saying that you don't like water
Back to top Go down
blackstar
The Mighty Mite
blackstar

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 14155
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 4:02 pm

Yeah actually I was big into Pokemon, Magic, Yugioh. The collectible games which has indeed carried over into my other habits like my obsession with collecting metal stuff and buying CD's and vinyl's and whatnots.
Back to top Go down
http://www.circleofdestruction.net
ImendiaBurzum
Elder
ImendiaBurzum

Number of posts : 15462
Hedonistic Glory : 13079
Joined In : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 6:03 pm

Leeched from another forum lol

Anyway...i just remember playing with Small chickens and Dogs...toys..not so much...but i had some BadeBlades LOL
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/dommaster66

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 6:15 pm

Beyblade... It was an awesome Tv show though

My parents always bought me Barbies for christmas when I was younger and nowadays I'm really insecure and it might have something to do with the dolls I always got Razz
Back to top Go down
ImendiaBurzum
Elder
ImendiaBurzum

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 6:18 pm

Shin wrote:

My parents always bought me Barbies for christmas when I was younger and nowadays I'm really insecure and it might have something to do with the dolls I always got Razz

How insecure?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 6:24 pm

insecure enough to kick any guy in the nuts that tries to make a pass at her. well i guess that byd is safe then
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 6:33 pm

ImendiaBurzum wrote:
Shin wrote:

How insecure?

I'm never happy with how I look I can just spend hours in the mirror doing my hair and make-up just to get it perfect but I'm just never satisfied and I get upset easily if someone calls me ugly even if they are joking
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 6:46 pm

Darknessia01 wrote:

If someone is given a toy instrument, might they become a musician upon growing up?
Hell , Lexi loves her dolls , We got her a shit load of new ones for christmas .. Do you think she will be fucked up cause of the dolls or because she is my child ??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 6:47 pm

i vote because of kim!
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
Taxer666

Number of posts : 7204
Hedonistic Glory : 13186
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 8:17 pm

I used to have Transformers when I was younger and I guess that explains my urge to turn into a fucking jet
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 8:18 pm

Lol I wasn't into Pokemon or Yugioh at all when I was a kid but later on when I was like 16 or something I got into them a little bit. I have played competitive pokemon [not cards] and competitive yugioh [yes cards but online only] both. I've watched some (quite a few) of the yugioh shows but the pokemon shows make me depressed because the world is too small.
Back to top Go down
who?
A Scholar
who?

Number of posts : 328
Hedonistic Glory : 5722
Joined In : 2009-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 11:38 pm

I was all about voltron, dino riders, and ninja turtles. My dad had a sawmill that he and my uncle had built, so when I wasn't playing with toys and stuff I was helping pull sinker cypress trees out of the Mississippi river so my dad could mill all of it and sell it. It was crazy but def. fun.
Back to top Go down
http://504nola.blogspot.com
blackstar
The Mighty Mite
blackstar

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 11:40 pm

Voltron FTW!
Back to top Go down
ImendiaBurzum
Elder
ImendiaBurzum

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 11:59 pm

THUNDERCATS!

Toys (Defining Your Youth?) Thundercat
Back to top Go down
blackstar
The Mighty Mite
blackstar

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 12:08 am

Epic lol.
Back to top Go down
rocknrollchair
Natural Born Headbanger
rocknrollchair

Number of posts : 643
Hedonistic Glory : 5993
Joined In : 2009-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 3:16 am

I alwasy play with the toy between my legs,as a child,and i still do today.....(dirtylaughs)..........
no,Serious,i got slotracing,and i love today everything bout cars + bikes + racing(but i can go on with football(soccer),bycycle,every mechanical thing,painting,repairing,aso),i never was a bored child,i got always some to do or to learn.....til today
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 3:20 am

rocknrollchair wrote:
I alwasy play with the toy between my legs,as a child,and i still do today.....(dirtylaughs)..........
no,Serious,i got slotracing,and i love today everything bout cars + bikes + racing(but i can go on with football(soccer),bycycle,every mechanical thing,painting,repairing,aso),i never was a bored child,i got always some to do or to learn.....til today
Hell yea brother ! We need to all get together and ride ..
Back to top Go down
rocknrollchair
Natural Born Headbanger
rocknrollchair

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 3:26 am

hateyou1st wrote:
rocknrollchair wrote:
That would be awesome brother,but they never let me in the states because my past.....
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 3:29 am

DragonballZ was so good too
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 3:44 am

rocknrollchair wrote:
hateyou1st wrote:
rocknrollchair wrote:
That would be awesome brother,but they never let me in the states because my past.....
Hell they let me in the marines so they can't care about much .. lol
Back to top Go down
ImendiaBurzum
Elder
ImendiaBurzum

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 3:48 am

Sooo RNRC how is your street called?
i think i have some family on Nuremberg
Back to top Go down
rocknrollchair
Natural Born Headbanger
rocknrollchair

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 3:49 am

but u are an american citizen,i´m not....they won´t let pünx like me in,not even for vacation,u can believe me......but it´s a dream of me ,visit the states,mabe illegal over MEXICO,hahaha
Back to top Go down
rocknrollchair
Natural Born Headbanger
rocknrollchair

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 3:51 am

i ´ve lived in nuremburg til 1989,now i live near HANNOVER in the north(fuckin love bring me here)of germany..........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 4:00 am

rocknrollchair wrote:
but u are an american citizen,i´m not....they won´t let pünx like me in,not even for vacation,u can believe me......but it´s a dream of me ,visit the states,mabe illegal over MEXICO,hahaha
Dude do you have family that lives here ? If so you can get in , And dont go by mexico .. Go through canada ..
Back to top Go down
rocknrollchair
Natural Born Headbanger
rocknrollchair

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 4:06 am

hateyou1st wrote:
rocknrollchair wrote:
Dude do you have family that lives here ? If so you can get in , And dont go by mexico .. Go through canada ..
i know part of my family went to the states after WW2,but i don´t know them,...........canada,o.k...........mexican boarder is to controlled?
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
Taxer666

Number of posts : 7204
Hedonistic Glory : 13186
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 4:13 am

hateyou1st wrote:
rocknrollchair wrote:

Unless it's immediate family then that won't matter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 4:21 am

rocknrollchair wrote:
hateyou1st wrote:
rocknrollchair wrote:
i know part of my family went to the states after WW2,but i don´t know them,...........canada,o.k...........mexican boarder is to controlled?
Well no , But the flow of drugs that come from the mexican boarder is watched far more than canada .
Back to top Go down
rocknrollchair
Natural Born Headbanger
rocknrollchair

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 4:29 am

so i thought marihuana is now legal in california,they call schwarzenegger" the marihunator!"....hahahaha
Back to top Go down
Darknessia01
A Scholar
Darknessia01

Number of posts : 289
Hedonistic Glory : 5685
Joined In : 2009-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 9:19 am

hateyou1st wrote:
Darknessia01 wrote:

Hell , Lexi loves her dolls , We got her a shit load of new ones for christmas .. Do you think she will be fucked up cause of the dolls or because she is my child ??

Hmm..
well,i think its more important the habits learned at home ..
Years ago I read a book which said: "Children are a the mirror of their parents / Home and his childhood" or something like that
when i read that shit,i was so pissed off and CALL IT bullshit,but looking and thinking more over that, I realized that this phrase.. had a litle of truth

I do not consider myself like my mom for anything, but i had a few bad habits -thanks to the way i lived and grew up.
like, be completely indifferent to the people around me,be shy when I like someone and also be a damn asshole when I do not like something..
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 7:08 pm

Everything plays its role. There is no simple formula for these kinds of things. Like in my example it showed how two completely unrelated things created a new and different effect that was more than the sum of the parts.

Also of course genetics play a role, like say if you were born with a disease or some kind of a vulnerability (or lack of) etc.
Back to top Go down
Pisager
Top Lad
Pisager

Number of posts : 109
Hedonistic Glory : 5486
Joined In : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 2:29 am

I think what we like as children certainly carries over.
For me, swords, guns, weapons of all sorts, but mostly medieval ones. Toy ones of course. From ages 5-12 I played with toy weapons for about three hours a day.The other half of my free time was spent reading books (fantasy of course), playing that antique sega genesis, and playing board games or other toys with myself. By other toys I mean star wars figures, GI Joes, and army men. Most of my time was spent fighting imaginary enemies on the lawn.
That's what I did then, now I listen to power metal, read books (fantasy of course), play miniatures war games (damn right I do), and plan to be an author. Yeah I think I'm still into most of the same stuff. Laughing

Nice topic btw.
Back to top Go down
TheskyisblueFTW
The Magician
TheskyisblueFTW

Number of posts : 2722
Hedonistic Glory : 9078
Joined In : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 1:16 am

I grew up with Power Ranger toys, so I don't know how thats effected me, I guess I have a need to complete collections, as when I was a kid you could just have one Ranger you had to have the other five, and one giant robot isn't enough, you need the 2 so you can make one super robot. yup thats my life.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/DX.Robots
ExtremeOverload
I CAME!
ExtremeOverload

Number of posts : 972
Hedonistic Glory : 6405
Joined In : 2009-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 1:22 am

TheskyisblueFTW wrote:
I grew up with Power Ranger toys, so I don't know how thats effected me, I guess I have a need to complete collections, as when I was a kid you could just have one Ranger you had to have the other five, and one giant robot isn't enough, you need the 2 so you can make one super robot. yup thats my life.
Same here, except it was Optimus Prime. You had the truck, then you need the monkey, the metal monkey, the fire truck, the super truck, the bat, the super metal monkey, etc, etc.
Back to top Go down
TheskyisblueFTW
The Magician
TheskyisblueFTW

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 1:36 am

ExtremeOverload wrote:
TheskyisblueFTW wrote:
Same here, except it was Optimus Prime. You had the truck, then you need the monkey, the metal monkey, the fire truck, the super truck, the bat, the super metal monkey, etc, etc.

yes and then I got the Jet, tank, submarine, gorilla optimus..... eh
Back to top Go down
Pisager
Top Lad
Pisager

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:17 am

TheskyisblueFTW wrote:
I grew up with Power Ranger toys, so I don't know how thats effected me, .

Well, you still watch anime.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 3:56 am

I just worked out all the time as a kid
Only get in fights when people make eye contact now
Back to top Go down
TheskyisblueFTW
The Magician
TheskyisblueFTW

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 5:09 pm

Pisager wrote:
TheskyisblueFTW wrote:
I grew up with Power Ranger toys, so I don't know how thats effected me, .

Well, you still watch anime.

you speak as if you know me. but yes watching the show where five teenagers save the world using Japanese stock footage, has influenced me to like more things from japan
Back to top Go down
ExtremeOverload
I CAME!
ExtremeOverload

Number of posts : 972
Hedonistic Glory : 6405
Joined In : 2009-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 6:11 pm

Japan is awesome.
Back to top Go down
Pisager
Top Lad
Pisager

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 1:03 am

Sky, you where talking about anime in a couple other topics is why I said that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toys (Defining Your Youth?)   Toys (Defining Your Youth?) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Toys (Defining Your Youth?)
Page 1 of 1