Tip of the Hat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My New Laptop idea

Go down 
+3
MarshallEMG
link
Brute
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Brute

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 17330
Joined In : 2008-10-13

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 3:08 pm

so yeah, some of you may know im getting a laptop. my budget is 500$. not my price, my dads price...since he is paying. im not going to complain sinc eim getting it gratis.

so here is what i had in mind
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/gateway-nv5214u/4505-3121_7-33721018.html?tag=rnav

i plan on using it for
1) Picture editing. like Bridge, Photoshop, Illustrator....all that cool stuff
2) music
3) older steam games like half-life2 and such
4) internet and word processing

i think the specs i want are....
-2.0 ghz dual core....or around there.
-2 gb RAM or higher....but if i get 64 bit, it automatically comes with 4gb
-somewhat large HD. i think 200 gb is fine, i have a backup of 500Gb, so 320 is fine by my standards
-non-integrated graphics card....i think non-integrated is better for PS right now, and the upcoming versions. or if it is not possible economically to get non-integrated, then i need a somewhat high end one right now, so i dont feel bad about not being able to upgrade
-wireless N

i need to know things about 64 bit vista...this is beyond me. im so stupid.

Please help. thanks
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 4:37 pm

Do not buy that computer!: Its a Packard Bell TJ65 in disguise, you must call the company Gateway over there, but trust me, I recognise it: it will break down before you know it. My friend's destroyed itself when transfering his itunes library from an external HD. Couldn't even get the system restore to work through the BIOS and it needed the Vista recovery disc (which he didn't have as it came pre installed). He was pissed to say the least. He'd only had it 2 days. 6 different blue screen faults. Its sh!t.

He switched to a compaq presario CQ60-430SA RM-72 which was the same spec as the PB/Gateway, but £30 cheaper AND came with a NVIDIA graphics card. He hasn't looked back. Get one of them instead!
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Brute

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 5:36 pm

Dies Irae wrote:
Do not buy that computer!: Its a Packard Bell TJ65 in disguise, you must call the company Gateway over there, but trust me, I recognise it: it will break down before you know it. My friend's destroyed itself when transfering his itunes library from an external HD. Couldn't even get the system restore to work through the BIOS and it needed the Vista recovery disc (which he didn't have as it came pre installed). He was pissed to say the least. He'd only had it 2 days. 6 different blue screen faults. Its sh!t.

He switched to a compaq presario CQ60-430SA RM-72 which was the same spec as the PB/Gateway, but £30 cheaper AND came with a NVIDIA graphics card. He hasn't looked back. Get one of them instead!

cant go wrong with an nVidia
ill look into it, thanks for the opnion

id like to believe your friend got a dud. im sure not all the gateways crap out when transferring files, and you have to admit for the price that it is a good computer, had you not had prior knowledge of your freinds dieing
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Brute

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 5:40 pm

oh, did a quick google search, i think that is only offered in the UK under that specific name
ill look at compaq's site for the equivellent US version
Back to top Go down
link
Deliciously Fat
link

Number of posts : 7786
Hedonistic Glory : 12855
Joined In : 2008-09-05

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 6:55 pm

Compaq's are great computers, Gateways f*** you over in every way possible, avoid the Gateway all together. I would say a Compaq, and I know a site that you could look at computers at.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/indexus.asp?SRCCODE=WEBGOOTD&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Try there, it's a good site. Refer the computers you find to here.
Back to top Go down
MarshallEMG
True Gentleman
MarshallEMG

Number of posts : 1619
Hedonistic Glory : 7299
Joined In : 2008-12-21

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 7:31 pm

Wait for Windows 7. October 22 grrrrr i cant friggen wait much longer
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Brute

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm

i know....
thats something else i wanted to look into, the laptop i buy has to be able to do windows 7.

idk if i want to wait that long. plus, whos wants the very first addition anyways...
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

Number of posts : 27756
Hedonistic Glory : 27755
Joined In : 2008-08-28

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 7:47 pm

mac
Back to top Go down
MarshallEMG
True Gentleman
MarshallEMG

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 7:59 pm

breakyoudown wrote:
mac
Mac books blow donkey cock
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Brute

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 8:00 pm

ok dies, the only thing i could find that is the rough equivellent here is the
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/compaq-presario-cq60-420us/4505-3121_7-33698050.html?tag=mncol;lst

it doesnt have the nVidia card, though it does have the Tourion processor, which is nice.
sorry, im still liking my choice
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 8:04 pm

MarshallEMG wrote:
breakyoudown wrote:
mac

Just the kind of response from someone who has no idea how to use one
Back to top Go down
MarshallEMG
True Gentleman
MarshallEMG

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 8:12 pm

Trust me im ive been in an IT class for 3 years. And ive actually used them before
Back to top Go down
link
Deliciously Fat
link

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 8:34 pm

breakyoudown wrote:
MarshallEMG wrote:
breakyoudown wrote:
mac

Just the kind of response from someone who has no idea how to use one

I know how and I say they blow albino donkey penis
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic
breakyoudown

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:24 pm

As constructive as that is I will have to disagree
Back to top Go down
MarshallEMG
True Gentleman
MarshallEMG

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:34 pm

Macbook airs catch on fire very often. Not to mention that there also about 1600 dollars for a 2 ghz dual core...
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Axe

Number of posts : 11611
Hedonistic Glory : 18459
Joined In : 2009-01-21

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:53 pm

Hey man, I like to think I know a little about computers so I'll give you my two cents.

I think the hard drive space you posted would work fine, especially since you have that backup drive. 2 GB of RAM is good, you wouldn't want much less in a laptop, because usually laptops take up more memory to run. Also, I would avoid getting Vista at all costs. I mean, the OS is decent, but it's a power hog, and running that on a laptop would suck more memory.

My stepmother has a Gateway, and it's worked good since she's had it, and that's been about a year I think. I would say to avoid getting a Dell though, if there are others you are looking into. My entire immediate family has Dells, and they are nothing but trouble. Before I was under the impression that they were good PCs, but the capacitors tend to go bad really quickly. We've already had two of our Dells die because of that, and the guy at the computer store said my capacitors were starting to leak.

I hope this helps out a little
Back to top Go down
MarshallEMG
True Gentleman
MarshallEMG

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 10:04 pm

Brand name desktops suck and are overpriced anyway. Check out the brand ASUS they have some pretty decent laptops on www.newegg.com . Oh and axe dont be fooled capacitors always leak they have to be refreshed 100's of times a second by transistors.
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Brute

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 11:23 pm

MarshallEMG wrote:
Macbook airs catch on fire very often. Not to mention that there also about 1600 dollars for a 2 ghz dual core...

thats becuase an Air is the shittiest laptop ever concieved and made in history. seriously, macbook air technology is 5 years behind. doesnt even have a disc drive.

macs are aquired taste. i dont want one simply becuse they are nearly triple what i can spend
Back to top Go down
link
Deliciously Fat
link

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 12:00 am

brutality, thynameismetal wrote:
MarshallEMG wrote:

thats becuase an Air is the shittiest laptop ever concieved and made in history. seriously, macbook air technology is 5 years behind. doesnt even have a disc drive.

macs are aquired taste. i dont want one simply becuse they are nearly triple what i can spend

They are also more work then they are worth.
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Brute

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 12:07 am

i guarentee you when i do lots of photo work and i have the cash...im buying an imac no problem.
Back to top Go down
Lord Kur
True Gentleman
Lord Kur

Number of posts : 1605
Hedonistic Glory : 7139
Joined In : 2009-06-04

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 1:37 am

i had a gateway laptop and it sucked. it broke in less then a year.
Back to top Go down
http://hatrednation.blogspot.com/
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Brute

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 3:01 am

is that gateways fault, or did you just get a dud?
Back to top Go down

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 4:19 am

brutality, thynameismetal wrote:
is that gateways fault, or did you just get a dud?

I'd suggest they fault. Really, I'd stay clear. Two people on the forum who've seen that gateways suck.
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Brute

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 4:25 am

ehhh, good point,
but i still need to find one....the one you suggested looks like a UK only deal.
Back to top Go down
Lord Kur
True Gentleman
Lord Kur

Number of posts : 1605
Hedonistic Glory : 7139
Joined In : 2009-06-04

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 10:24 am

it was their fault because i just type. they are pretty well known to have cheapo crap
Back to top Go down
http://hatrednation.blogspot.com/
blackstar
The Mighty Mite
blackstar

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 14155
Joined In : 2009-03-10

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 1:47 pm

My production teacher worships at the church of apple and is convinced we should all own macs lol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Brute

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 3:01 pm

apples and pc owners are like Republicans and Democrats on the extreme side. we just need to have casual users, not preachers....being so devoted to something is scary
Back to top Go down
blackstar
The Mighty Mite
blackstar

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 14155
Joined In : 2009-03-10

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 6:19 pm

I'm pretty neutral I like em both and really don't see much of a difference when I use em other than the names of the keys. I think macs are better for stuff like using as a produdction hub and stuff like that because their are less viruses for them but for general use *shrugs* but I'm not a tech guy so whatever.
Back to top Go down
http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Sponsored content

My New Laptop idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Laptop idea   My New Laptop idea I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My New Laptop idea
Page 1 of 1